Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ATX=automatic transmission. MTX=manual transmission.
Was the link helpful to anyone? Anyone?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Dude, I found that site to be quite informative. The HLA noise, is that referring to valve noise on startup? That suped up milly is Sweet on that page. It doesn't mention any about transmission noise(whine). I guess a little is normal for autos, the milly is my first auto trans (ATX).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad you liked the link.
The HLA's are the Hydraulic Lash adjusters, lifters. Cause of problems:
If HLAs are subject to numerous cold stop-start driving or garage-to-drive short trips they may not pump-up with oil properly. This gives the tell-tale tick-tick/tap-tap from an otherwise super-silent V6. More regular oil changes help. If the sound stays after 20mins for several consecutive days then the cause is one or more collapsed HLAs/lifters due to dirt/varnish.
When I owned a 1997 626 LX with I4 & ATX, I would have that tick-tick/tap sound also. However, it would only do it after I drove it at regular speed then put it in park, and sit with the engine idling for five minutes. If I were to put it in drive, and cruise around for a few minutes it would disappear. I also noticed it if I was stuck in heavy traffic for a prolonged amount of time.
With my 626 ES, MTX, I have yet to hear that noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a question about this :huh: - Is this HLA noise destroying my engine? What is the liklihood it will seize my engine? Do I need to get it repaired? I have been asking around on this for a while (it started like someone mentioned - it would only do it if I was sitting somewhere for a while and then it would go away, but now it is constant) and a mechanic said they would need to replace all of the lifters $1300 - and the Mazda dealer said it was the oil pump $1200. HELP!! Do I even need to care?? :)

·
Registered
903 Posts
The first thing I would do is check your oil level :eek: . I don't know how many times I have heard people driving around(example supermarkets) and you can hear the valves tapping :x. I would recommend first checking the oil, because I think that is the most common problem of valve noise on a regular basis :2muchcomp:. If that still doesn't work, and it doesn't go away after the engine is warm......I guess get it fixed or drive her till she's broke :magic:.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am religious about getting my oil changed every 3 months or 3,000 miles :angel: so I don't think that it is an oil problem - I have never been told it was really low or seen that it was low on the invoice given to me. I have even tried putting in cleaners and "Victor"additive (cost about as much as my oil change. I have tried having it changed more frequently and nothing seems to help. I know it must sound like I don't take care of my car, but it has been fairly good to me (except it dies off and on only in the a.m. - any suggestions??), and I have done all I can think of to take care of it.. :huh:

·
Registered
8 Posts
The link has some great info. I have the same ATX (CD4E) in my ford contour and have had good luck with changing the fluid yearly. There is no filter to change, so a flush of the fluid and replacement with synthetic MERCON type fluid has helped keep the tranny smooth and strong for 140K+ miles. I hope my 626 tranny is as trouble free. B)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts