·
Registered
329 Posts
May i ask... why do you want one?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Remote starters are great, it beats freezing your
off in the winter time. I'm thinking of getting one myself.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I wouldent get one, to me its a waste of money, alot of people thing by turning on the car and letting the car idel for 5-20 min is a good thing but only if they new....

By letting a cold motor idle for a length of time, the oil does not circulate throughout the whole motor. Instead, it mostly "pools" around the lower half of the motor therefore increasing wear along cams and such. On a cold engine start up and under normal running temps, the ECU is running a very rich fuel program to make the engine warm up as fast possible. What does this mean for the motor? It means A LOT of fuel isn't getting burned and is seeping into the oil and degrading it quickly. Also, the rich exhaust will eventually foul the cat.

People just don't understand that you should start driving a cold car as soon as the oil pressure gets into the normal range which is about 30-60 seconds after start up. It sounds hard on a cold engine to begin driving nearly right away after starting it, but it isn't true. It is far less strenuous on the motor to warm up under load (ie driving). Why? Because the oil circulates better, the fuel program becomes leaner, and the increased tranny heat begins to help warm up the motor.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I'll agree with that, but I think it depends to some extent on the age of the car and, thus, the sophistication of its ECU programming. For instance, I give my old Honda (from 1989) a minute or two to compose itself on a really cold morning and get the revs up a bit - otherwise, if I leave right away, it'll sputter and (sometimes) stall out when I let out the clutch at a stoplight. But that's only on really cold mornings.

However, I agree with you about self-starters in general - I'm not convinced that they're good for the engine. And besides, the process of trudging out and starting the engine also allows you to scrape the windows while the car warms up. I then consider it my "prize" to get into the warm(ish) car after having cleaned it off.

Duncan ;D

·
Registered
903 Posts
I heard that when you have the remote starter installed, it shouldn't be used all the time because there is a jump in the wiring. Anyone use it on a regular basis? Or heard anything about using on a daily basis???

·
Registered
0 Posts
are they any aftermarket remote starters you can have on the car in addition to the factory alarm. Id like something I can just use once and awhie from inside my house to start the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by ///BHRpowered@Mar 4 2003, 11:21 PM
are they any aftermarket remote starters you can have on the car in addition to the factory alarm. Id like something I can just use once and awhie from inside my house to start the car.
I have a Viper 550. It's got the remote starter and an aftermarket alarm on it. It works great and I have the security of the Viper alarm and the factory alarm too.

·
Registered
0 Posts
yeah but then wouldn't you have to use 2 remote to unlock the doors. otherwise 1 alarm would go off while the other didn't. remote starters are more for show

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by ///BHRpowered@Apr 3 2003, 12:34 PM
yeah but then wouldn't you have to use 2 remote to unlock the doors. otherwise 1 alarm would go off while the other didn't. remote starters are more for show
Additionally the Millenia OEM Security System is High-End........................the only thing you should consider is shock-sensors...............which in a realistic sense is a JOKE...................

Stick with the factory alarm, and use the club or that other thingamajiggy......................

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by ///BHRpowered@Apr 3 2003, 11:34 AM
Nope. Both alarms run through my viper remote and i've never had a problem with it only disarming one system.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Funniest thing i ever saw was a few years ago we got a 4 by 4 truck in trade for a new car. It had a remote starter on it and was parked behind 4 other cars preparing to be detailed. The foreman walked up to the detailer guy and showed him the truck and remote pad and said.. Do NOT TOUCH THIS BUTTON!. 15 minutes later the truck was climbing over all the cars in front of it. Caused 25k in damage. ROFL

·
Registered
0 Posts
hahahaha, ah..thats another reason why I don't like to leave my car in the hands of dealers with valet parkers, they treat your car like shit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It sounds like that thing had a poorly installed remote starter! It shouldn't work if the car is in gear! I had a Viper alarm/remote start system (450?) in my old car and loved it. I used it quite a bit and never had a problem (81K+ miles), although who knows, maybe the engine blew up by now. I wasn't aware that idling could cause major problems, although mine was set to cut the engine after 12 minutes (they are adjustable). I'd probably get another one, but am happy with the alarm in the 6s I have now.

Good luck!
Chris

·
Premium Member
24,081 Posts
i dont have remote start but i have an aftermarket alarm but i have to walk around with both remotes b/c the guy ddint know how to shut off the factory alarm.... supposed to be professional... fukkkk thattt

1 - 20 of 55 Posts