Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only removed the one that is in the "cold air" piping.

1) Remove stock airbox and MAS (mass airflow sensor)
Take both plugs (IAT and MAS plugs). Remove flex hosing from MAS by loosening clamp with phillips screw driver. Then you can remove the top of the airbox. There are 3 nuts and one bolt holding the lower portion in place. Once these are removed you can just remove the entire box. It should just slide off of the lower portion. It should just slide off of the lower elbow.

2) Remove driver's side splash panel.
All you really need to do is remove the screws that you see once you get underneath. You can leave the plastic fasteners on (the ones in the wheel well).
You should be able to reach the mounting points by pulling back on the panel. It shouldn't break due to this bending, but if you are worried go ahead and remove the fasteners in the wheel well.

At this point you have 2 options. A ) You can remove the plastic elbow that connects the airbox to the silencer box or B ) remove the silencer itself and leave that tube.

I just removed the elbow entirely. The airbox will still be pulling relatively cold air, just with a bigger opening.

3a) The elbow is connected to the body by 2 bolts. I believe they are 10mm. Remove these and the elbow should come out with the brackett. At this point you could screw the bolts back into their holes on the body to save them there. That way you don't have to worry about loosing them wherever you are going to store your platic connecting elbow.

3b) The silencer will need to be disconnected from the elbow. There is another flex-type peice that must be loosened via unscrewing the tighening screw. Then there should be a bolt or two holding the silencer box in place. Once you take those out you are finished.

4) Put everything back together. Make sure the splash sheild is firmly tightened. Make sure all plugs are snug. Make sure the hose connecting to the MAS is tight enought not to leak.

Now you are finished. If there are any technical questions about anything, I happen to have the full Mazda shop manual. I can see if I can help you out.

I am going to begin work on how to take out the large resonator box very soon. I'll have an update on that as soon as I get it finished.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problem. I still haven't gotten the chance to check out the other resonator box. However, I did find an Akimoto intake that might work really well with our cars. It is the one for the BMW 325i (1997 or so). I have a friend around Clemson that has one and he is getting rid of it. The size of the piping is right, but I am going to have to fabricate bracketts to make it sits in there without moving.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts