Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! After 107,000 relatively trouble-free miles my 1996 Millenia L developed an engine noise that sounded to me like a bad bearing on alternator/ac/idler etc. Dealer disconnected the belt and the noise persisted so they opened up the valve cover (the gasket of which was replaced at 98,000) and determined that it must be the hydraulic lifters and that they must be replaced at a cost of $2,400!!! I've searched this forum and have not found anyone to have such an issue.

The engine runs like a sewing machine and the noise abates at higher RPM's. It has been agressively maintained for its entire life.

The noise appeared suddenly two weeks and is sometimes intermitant, however I hear it most all the time now.

Has anyone been down this road?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Many, many people with the 2.5 have been down this road. Before you hand $2400 over to the devil try a few things first.
1) Do a seafoam treatment...search on here, you'll find it.
2) If that fails, wait a week or two and do a kerosene flush (PM me for instructions on this)
3) If that still doesn't solve the problem, then you have two options...one is to live with the hla tick, and the second is to replace the hla's. If you live with it, then the drawbacks you'll face are the annoying tick, and possibly worse gas mileage because the knock sensor may pick up the tick as knock and retard timing. If you change them, you don't need to have them changed at mazda, any shop can fix this for a lot cheaper.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Does'nt sound like lifters to me, they make a tick-tick sound varying with engine speed, either at coldstart a few seconds or warm as well when a oilchange is needed, you might consider them to be an oilchange alert. And I guess all of them wouldn't collapse at the same time. I'd say you're being screwed. I'm no expert though, they'll probably give a second opinion soon :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. Most importantly you gave me comfort that what the dealer was telling me was correct. I plan on keeping the car for many years to come so I went ahead and had the lifters replaced.

I've maintained this car thoroughly for 10 years and as recently as January, someone asked me if it was a new car. Now that this repair is complete the engine sounds like new, which as you know, means it hardly makes any sound at all.

Had I not already had the dealer open her up, I probably would have tried to use some chemicals to buy time, but the noise came on so suddenly that I paniced. No regrets though, I would have eventually fixed it.

Thanks again for all the advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My car is doing this after oil kept losing pressure and not telling me after I had just changed the oil. Ya you can't live with it because the car wants to shut down and barely drives

1 - 8 of 8 Posts