Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy I had fun tonight :)

I was there for about 10 minutes just pulling the handbrake for my forward 180s and 90 degree turns, then getting good speed for the reverse 180s and powerslides...

and then the cops start rolling up in the distance so I got outta there :)

But it was fun fun fun! I can't wait till I get a RWD car and burn the tires off it!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I must say that you can have a LOT more fun in a parking lot with a rear-wheel drive car...

... and you can do powerslides in more than one gear (the trick is to change gears while keeping the slide going)

JC (w00t)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by JohnC@Oct 11 2002, 05:13 AM
I must say that you can have a LOT more fun in a parking lot with a rear-wheel drive car...

... and you can do powerslides in more than one gear (the trick is to change gears while keeping the slide going)

JC (w00t)
I've got a lot to learn about RWD cars, but I think that a lot of FWD experience can be applied :D

I know the handbrake and a hard turn still gives you a 180 :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
LOL - many years ago I had a very worked Holden EH (1964 model) - it's an Aussie built car that looks a little bit like a compact Chev from around 1960-61.

It had a worked 192ci (3lt) straight 6 with triple webers, extractors, cam, etc, etc. Great power ! As standard they were pretty crude cars, drum brakes all round (I had a front disc brake conversion on mine). The handbrake in those cars is the old "pull it out from under the dash" thingies, which are quite difficult to use compared to a console-mounted 'brake.

Anyway, what I used to do with that car was do a hand-brakey at about 40 mph, and chuck it 180º - and while it was spinning 'round, select first, drop off the handbrake and drop the clutch.

This would result in the car running backwards at maybe 15mph, whilst the rear wheels were spinning at like 40mph forwards. The redline was only about 5,500 and there was little choice but to back off or change up - the fun part in that car was to get it into 2nd while the car was still moving backwards...

Awesome smoke when tyres are doing 70mph or so forwards and car is moving backwards ! And the tyres became so overheated that there was virtually no traction (BF Goodrich Radial T/As were the widest tyres avail for the 13" rims I had on the car, and they are shit when they get hot).

After it stopped moving there was the choice of letting it move off forward, chuck a few 2nd gear donuts, or just apply the brakes to line-lock it and and let it sit there for a while :)

JC

PS: One of the most awesome things I saw done in a standard car was when a friend of mine did the same technique in his FWD Honda Accord (88 model I think, 1.8lt). He had it redlining in 1st and coz of FWD there was so little traction, I reckon he went at least 100ft backwards before it slowed to a halt.

At which time he pulled the (rear-wheel) handbrake and sat the car on the spot for about 5 mins - it looked like a bushfire and he completely disappeared... all we could hear was this std Honda motor screaming and a few woops of joy - the fun ended when the P/side front tyre popped (w00t)

·
Registered
329 Posts
:lol: I use to do that stuff all the time with my 1st car

I wouldent dare to do that now with my present car...not after messing up and hitting curbs, and dealing with bent rims :angry:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE@Oct 19 2002, 07:27 PM
:lol: I use to do that stuff all the time with my 1st car

I wouldent dare to do that now with my present car...not after messing up and hitting curbs, and dealing with bent rims :angry:
It's all in the skill :D

No scrapes, no nothing.. just last night I missed a turn so I turn to my friend and he's like hey, ya missed the turn..

So I go, I could do a reverse 180 right now...

So he tells me to go ahead.. and I give it a nice lil whip around. By the time I planted he's like "you gotta show me how to do that" :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
I know how to mess around, its just in the rain if somthing goes wrong u can easly lose controll, i dont take any risk when its raining :blush:

·
Registered
517 Posts
how about when u avoided the vette and almost skidded into the curb? lost some control there :p

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Ha! Cops in this town care. I remember in high school I was riding in my buddy's IHC Scout (345 V8, 4-speed, big bruiser of an SUV) and he blipped the throttle just a touch too hard coming out of the parking lot, creating a mild squeal from the rear end. Our school's resident police officer immediately put the lights on and pulled us over for "excessive display of speed." My friend got off with just a warning, but damn, that guy was a Nazi!

Remember, though, that Colorado Springs is one of just two places in the entire world that felt the need to use force (in the form of tear gas) against anti-war protesters a couple of weeks ago. Go figure.

Duncan :D

PS: We're also home to the massive Focus on the Family organization, so you get some idea of how conservative this town is.

·
Registered
0 Posts
In highschool I probably would have kicked the guy in the nuts, now in college, well no Id probably still kick the guy in the nuts

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
I hate protesting liberals....Yea anti war protesters need to be shot with the rubber bullets...I hate all protesters...Wanna protest go to Israel and protest there..Tell america to mind its business with that country, and stop supporting the wrong group...

·
Registered
0 Posts
fuck right millenia, we spend way to much time worrying about non citizens. if you think the U.S is such a bad place then why'd you move here you dumb fuck, we're the world power because we used to know how to run the world, now we let all you fuckers in and give you billions of dollars and you hate us. If I were president there would be some serious changes. its nice you don't want us to humilate your former countrys, but really, this is our playground, most of you were not invited but we left you stay anyway, but no one tells us how to run our country. we started off with drunk sailers hitting a beach 227 years ago and look where we are. there is no reason places that have been estiblished for thousands of years should be so pitiful, you brought it opon yourself, remember the world can always use a few more glass parking lots (for millenias)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Milleniahead@Mar 4 2003, 05:22 PM
I hate protesting liberals....Yea anti war protesters need to be shot with the rubber bullets...I hate all protesters...Wanna protest go to Israel and protest there..Tell america to mind its business with that country, and stop supporting the wrong group...
I disagree about that... There's a saying (by a conservative no less), that goes something like...

I might not agree with what you're saying, but I will fight to the death to give you the right to say it.
This country is about free speech, which is why I've chosen not to disallow cursing, and I hesitate to lock/delete threads unless they are WAY out of the scope of the site, and of common courtesy to other members.

So while I personally don't agree with anti-war demonstrators, I believe that they have a right to say what they want in defense of their position and beliefs. I think some of them have smart things to say, some are ludicrus... but it's the same on both sides.

Anyhoo, let's keep this topic on track. It's about doing stupid shit with your car :)

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I have never once pulled my E brake up till this winter. Now, evertime its slick and I'm going around a corner I yank on the E brake while turning, keep sliding while turning back the other way and gasin the car. Its great fun. Though I've never lost control I would hate to hit another car doin something like this

·
Registered
0 Posts
you know what ski, I think thats actually safer, to turn onto my street you have to slow on a slight decline to turn, so if i try to stop and turn if its bad I just go staight into the curb, as long as you know what your doing and there aren't alt of cars around your ok

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
BHR, where abouts in FFX do you live? Oh I been meaning to ask you, do you just commute to school? or do you live on campus?

·
Registered
0 Posts
yes, I commute, which is why I try to only have classes on mon and wed ( in library now) ok, you know where the nova annandale campus is on 236, there's wakefield chapel that runs along side the parking lot, just follow that til holborn,(like 1/2 mile) then you turn onto privite drive and Im at the bottom of the(try to guess which house is mine) p.s holborn is a bitch to turn onto coming from 236 in snow, from braddock its not so bad.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts