Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mazda's current R&D chief, Joseph Bakaj, has recently been quoted as saying about the RX-7 compared to the RX-8:
Even though that only had two doors, while weight is also lower than the old model thanks to using aluminium suspension parts and through designing weight out using computer aided engineering.
Given that, the curb weights for the RX-7 are as follows:
2,789lbs Base Model with 5 Speed Manual
2,857lbs Base Model with 4 Speed Automatic
2,800lbs R1 (5 Speed only, no Automatic available)
2,862lbs Touring Model with 5 Speed
2,923lbs Touring Model with 4 Speed Automatic

At the most CONSERVATIVE estimate, the new RX-8 will be under 2923lbs. The more optomistic estimate would put the RX-8 under 2789lbs.

Mazda started a program with the 2nd generation RX-7 called "Operation Gram Per Head", in which every designer and engineer was asked how to reduce the weight of the car by one gram. After stripping the car and slowly rebuilding it, a total weight of over 250lbs was shed.

Hopefully, Mazda will or has already reinstituted this operation for the RX-8, and it will shed some more weight. But my guess is (and I do it to avoid being upset later on), around 2800lbs for the car.

Last edited by Shayaan at Oct 4 2002, 12:16 AM

·
Registered
517 Posts
question... is this weight with the car loaded with fuel or not?

also, wudnt it be nicer if they cud get someone that weighed 80lbs to run the track... it wud shave 0.00003 seconds on the 1/4mile

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Eternal TL2k3@Nov 12 2002, 09:02 PM
question... is this weight with the car loaded with fuel or not?

also, wudnt it be nicer if they cud get someone that weighed 80lbs to run the track... it wud shave 0.00003 seconds on the 1/4mile
Curb weight includes the weight of the fuel.

·
Registered
517 Posts
does the curbweight include a fatass test driver?

·
Registered
517 Posts
just tryna be a wisea$$ =)

·
Registered
517 Posts
what if i strap down a 300lb fatass in the back right side of every rx8... the curb weight will be more and so will the 50/50 weight distribution

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Eternal TL2k3@Nov 15 2002, 01:10 AM
what if i strap down a 300lb fatass in the back right side of every rx8... the curb weight will be more and so will the 50/50 weight distribution
What if we put an elephant on the car?

That's a pretty stupid post. And you call me a post whore... :p

·
Registered
517 Posts
i never denied being a post whore =P

1 - 10 of 10 Posts