Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I have been reading these forums for months trying to diagnose my issues. I have an 01 2.3 S with ~170k on the clock, and I am experiencing hesitation under acceleration, usually up hills or on ramps. Additionally, the car stalls when turning (usually happens when the AC is on) and idles poorly when coming to a stop. Startup idle is usually OK, but intermittent poor idle is a daily occurrence.

Things I have done within 10k miles:

New vacuum lines (thinking I may have accidentally replaced an internal one-way vacuum line)
New spark plugs (NGK3741)
3 new solenoids (CAC, ABV, and the other one back there)
Cleaned throttle body, IAC, and EGR
Installed catch can
All new wheel bearings

My repairs are the most common solutions for these issues, although I am suspicious of my power steering wiring/sensor from jwbekens thread for the stall upon steering.

This car is becoming more unsafe with every new quirk, and I'd like to get things sorted soon.

Call to millenia gurus! Your wisdom is much appreciated and I have learned so much about engines in my short time as a proud miller cycle owner.

EDIT: No TCS lights, so not likely limp mode

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I may have some issues with my fuel injectors. Although there are no misfires, my recent repairs quieted the car enough to reveal some moderate pinging. I'll hopefully take on this job within the next few weekends and hope that I don't cause any severe damage in the meantime.

Jon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just ohmed the four different terminals in each fuel rail, I had readings of 31 ohms for any combination of three of the terminals, and 15.6 ohms from one terminal to any of the other three. The front one was harder to check since the front intercooler duct is in the way, but similar ohms when testing blind. Is this a good diagnostic test? Is it a safe bet that this repair is needed?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Have replaced the fuel filter but have not checked pressure yet. Have not had issues with surging or bucking at higher rpm which makes me think that the pump is still good.

Also added some Lucas fuel injector cleaner into my last tank, only half a tank down so far and maybe some improvement in the pinging.. or maybe I'm just being optimistic.

Recently cleaned the MAF, throttle body, IAC, and did two PCV seafoam treatments.. IDK what else could be screwing up my fuel/air ratio!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Threw Lucas fuel injector cleaner in the last two tanks and a can of seafoam in my current fill up. Also seafoamed thru the PCV valve once more with negligible white smoke. Pinging is less noticeable now, but still exists.

Maintenance within the last 6 mo:
All three solenoids next to CAC
PRC solenoid
Vacuum hoses
NGK spark plugs
Cleaned MAF
Cleaned throttle body
Cleaned IAC
Cleaned EGR valve

Still experiencing the same hesitation/stalling problems. Usually happens more frequently on hot days.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found some new codes for yall: P0300 and P0173

Fuel pump?

90% sure my vacuum lines are good, may tear into and quintuple check. Again, if anyone finds that thread with the hidden one-way valve vacuum lines it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Luroc, mine are working correctly!

Fuel pump is ordered, I think I was in denial that it was the pump because I didn't want to drop my tank in my apartment parking lot.. The plan right now is to utilize the University lab farm as my private Saturday workshop space. They gave me the key for a reason, right?

CV axles and some new Moog sway bar links are sitting here ready to install this weekend! Pretty soon I'll be caught up with the broken stuff and finally get to the preventative maintenance!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New fuel pump, ping went away so it must have been somewhat weak. Threw a PCV valve in too and it seems to run better. Still same hesitation and stalling issues. Frustrated:/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check your vaccum with a vaccum gauge. If it's below 18 you will have issues. With throttle response among other issues. The vaccum system on the S sucks ass and must be maintained to the highest levels. That means all vaccum lines,solenoids and T's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replaced the lines a few months back. I'm going in this weekend to quadruple check the vacuum rats nest. I'm certain there are no leaks, I'm at 23 mmHg, but I've ruled **** near everything else out.

If I don't find any issues, it's off to Upull to grab an EGR valve (or at least the EGR position sensor)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ohmed the EGR valve position sensor, it ohms room temp not depressed at about 4k and fully depressed at 40k, did I find my problem?! Anyone familiar with the normal readings?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check to see what your vacuum is starting at the pump then working to your fuel pressure regulator and then solenoids. It should read at about 20 to 25 inches if vacuum. Anything less than 18 it will though codes and the car will go into limp mode while driving. Also what spark plugs did you install? Because the Miller cycle engine does not like anything other than the factory plug. Iridium's work but must be gapped to spec. If the car is pinging then you are either running the wrong gas or have an incorrect spark plug gap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Clayton,

It seems that these are very common symptoms with these engines. I have yet to dig into it since my hiatus from the thread. The car is parked in my fathers shop and I have been replacing the suspension. Front is done, brakes and body work next before I dig back into the engine.. by then, I'll have so much money in the thing I'll be determined to get it running right.

From what so many of these threads have concluded, vacuum is very important to this car. My problems began with a busted tee, and continued after I replaced all lines/solenoids. I grabbed an EGR position sensor from a Upull yard and it ohmed the same, so I've ruled that out. It's possible that after all the messing around the engine bay that some wiring was messed up, but I'm just hypothesizing. I'll hopefully tear the motor down this winter and get to the bottom of things. Not sure what to tell ya bud, these engines are a trip. If I reach any breakthroughs, I'll let the forum know.

Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts