Mazda World Forum banner

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Anyone had any luck with spectre air filters and cold air intake products? Are they crap?

I see them in autozone and pep boys. I was looking today at a set up that I think would fit my car nicely that would include:

1-MAF adapter with vacuum hole in it (metal)--$14.95
2-Blue flexible plastic Intake hose to go from MAF to 3 inch hole drilled in car--$22.95 (the concern here is that it has short ridges in it--not polished smooth)
3-Two flanges that basically look like the MAF adapter, but smaller and plastic, one each for the top and bottom of the 3 inch hole I drill in the car, at $9,95 each. The top one will recieve the plastic intake hose. The botton one the filter will attach to.
4-blue Spectre cotton oiled air filter (it says its 881 cfm, same as the K&N) $29.95

Why blue--I have blue NGK wires, and if I go with a flexlite electronic fan will also go with blue.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
it could work, i dunno about the flexible intake hose, havent really seen too many if any of those. are you sure you cant find any sort of 3" piping ? then you wouldnt need too spend $45 on flanges and the tube. but if that stuff is supposed to work give it a shot, make sure everything is air tight.

remember some of this stuff will move and shift as you rev higher.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
You could give it a shot...I've seen all that gear at autozone and I'm not so sure about the tubing..also what all would be involved with the adapters on the non-maf side and keeping them air tight...for the $45 bucks you'd spend on those things, I recommend ordering a pipe from summit for $25-30....I'll grab my invoice and give you a product #....for the filter, k&n is well respected and I think mine was $30-40....I'll give you a run down of the things I used and #'s and stuff, to give you a good idea of what I did...and its a proven method cause it worked out! I used a lot of 9ine's info to do it...one thing, is the maf adapter you saw the one with the vacuum hose hole already in it??

edit: Nevermind that last question, I re-read your post...

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
if the pipe is only $25-30 and the K&N $30 or so then i would spend the extra few bucks and get the real stuff.

another thing is too on the 929S there is a resonance tube leading out of the intake pipe (stubby plastic pipe). if you could find a way to eliminate the chamber and cap off the outlet then the CAI would probably sound alot better IMO, it could even free up a HP or 2.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Forgot about that chamber..didn't you say you capped yours off on the Infiniti 9ine?? I'm sure he can get the pipe and filter for around $60 from summit..I'll search through my reciepts and let him know how much.....

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
yeah i used a large bottle cap to close off the resonance tube, sounds wierd but it worked.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you would get a model number on the tubing you used that would be great, because perusing the local auto parts stores I found nothing that looked like it would work that was not exhaust tubing. Also, that is way less on the K&N than the ones in the cold air section at Pep Boys. When I do my timing belt and radiator in 7000K I am going to do the exhaust too (as well as brakes). I plan to be without my 9er for a while. Good think I have an old pickup.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
The pipe from summitracing.com is #wlk-42344...and remember you're going to have to have a way to cut it, I just used a hacksaw carefully! It's $25.69, a dollar more than I paid...summit is usually free shipping!
The filter I used is K&N #RE-0930 or summit's #KNN-RE-0930...I got it for $35.69, but now its $54.98! No worries, other places have it cheaper still...such as:
partsamerica.com(advanceautoparts): $39.98
martelbrothers.com : $35.69(free shipping)
vichubbard.com : $36.17(free shipping)
ajusa.com : $35.57(free shipping)
truckpartseast.com : $35.69(free shipping)
4filters.com $35.69(free shipping)
usdieselparts.com $39.26(free shipping)
All of these retailers except the first are authorized by K&N! If you chose to order from any of these places, be careful to make sure that its not free shipping with some hidden handling fees...
I got the same MAF adapter I think you saw for $11.99...the blue 3" coupler from autozone for $13.98(comes with the clamps)...and a heat shield Spectre 8128 for $9.99....Oh, and I got the vacuum adapter kit that has a bunch of different sized adapters but I didn't need it because when you remove the cap on that MAF adapter, the hose we need to connect fits perfectly! You also are going to have to drill the 3" hole to the fender well, I personally had to borrow a holesaw from a friend...well that's it for now, but I have plenty mroe info on how I did it should you have any more questions!! You say 7000K miles before that other stuff, when do you think you might get around to this?? Have you made up your mind that you are definetly going to do it??

9ine: Do you mean the idea of using the bottle cap is weird, or that it actually sounded weird once you did it??

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, I plan on doing the CAI. I am going to wait, though, till I have the 9er up on jackstands. I plan to do a lot. I have to replace some brake lines that are leaking, and plan to totally flush out all of the old brake fluic. I already have my new front rotors to replace too. I will drop the tranny pan and replace the tranny filter too. I am going to take my sweet time. I may hit is a little earlier than at 120K. I want to wait till it gets nice and warm in my garage.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Great...taking your time always seems to get the job done better! I'm in Georgia so its plenty warm in the garage this time of year!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
9ine: Do you mean the idea of using the bottle cap is weird, or that it actually sounded weird once you did it??
[/b]
the idea of using a bottle cap is weird. the intake noise got deeper and the tone was nicer.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
welds on the hangers are messy but you cant see that anyways, it gets the trick done though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
sweet looking tip!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I think the tip is sticking out too far, but thats just my prefference, i like my mufflers / pipes tucked up, just because i dont like how low my 929 muffler sits. They did a cruddy job on the hanger by welding two pieces together, rather then fitting it out of one piece. But it does the job and as logn as it doesnt sound too loud then its awesome.

The exhaust i built for the SHO has everything tucked up so close i am worried it'll hit when going over bumps, but i hope it wont...... maan let me tell ya i'm not doing another exhaust system without a mig welder, chop saw or a band saw. But yeah i'll prolly post pics of it tonight. I can now see why mandrell bent systems cost upwards of 800$. I did all the work myself and i still spent about 350$ and it took me every bit of 35-40 hours.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
as promissed here are the pics of the exhaust system i've recently built for my 93 taurus sho, it was really a pain in the ass and i'm probably not going to do it again EVER.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Yeah I know the welding job looks kinda low quality..and probably is. But, for like $30 and a 15 minute wait, it seems well worth it to me..as far as the tip sticking out to far...when I just had the straight pipe on there it was closer. But, it appeared as though it was beginning to bother the bumper area...so I asked the guy to bend it ever so slightly downward...he lined it up and asked me where I wanted it, so that one's on me! And I think it sounds great...one of these days I'll figure out a way to let you guys hear it...also dmeetro, I'm interested to see how tucked in that exhaust is on the sho when you install it!! It'd be interesting to see how close you get it!!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
im personally liking the muffler tips extending past where it "should" be. i will do this on my next set up but i guess it helps if the car is slammed so it dont look odd.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts