Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all the car -

she is a import 1990 model with a factory series 4 rx7 13bt auto engine. :thumbsup:

ive been told that there are only 15 in the country (Australia) but all of them are series 1 apart from mine which is series 2.

the fridge in the parcel shelf was an option for the series 2 (mine doesnt have it :cry: ) would have been cool (pardon the pun)!! :lol:

some of the options -

6 speaker stereo (there are even volume controls for the rear speakers in the center pull down arm rest for the rear passengers)
driver 6 way electrical adjustible seat
front passenger 4 way electrical adjustible seat
rear seats split in to 3/4 to 1/4 style and are 2 way adjustible (ie move forwards or backwards for your comfort)
a/c
powersteering (which is heaps light considering the weight of the car)
full electronic dash
abs
electric windows front and rear
electric mirrors (with a parking pull in button)
factory fog lights

atm it has stich 17" rims and i plan to keep them as it makes the car i reckon

future mods -

suspension as front shocks are shot.
nulethane bushes
maybe an aftermarket ecu later (as she get 550km to 65ltr tank on highway now)
exhaust (as the rear tip scraps on everything and it is shitting me)
maybe some series 6 brake calipers for the front brakes and some slotted rotors.
paint job (as she is a little shotty up close)
series 5 turbo (to stop the boost spiking)
black out boost gauge
black out oil pressure gauge (as it doesnt have one :? )
upgrade the auto (as its an fc box it doesnt handle the extra weight of the Luce to well, so either upgrade internals or install a jc 20b auto box)

here are the pics -

boost gauge gone as it got stolen out of the car just 3 days after purchasing the car!! :grr:

intercooler - gets its air from a ducting system taken from half of the front grill you will see the plastic duct just behind right of grill in picture.
air is pushed up into the bonnet where you see the first little opening in the front of the bonnet right of the bonnet clip.
then ducted to the intercooler out of the rear larger opening in the middle of the bonnet via the usual series 4/5 seal to the intercooler.

now my questions -

1. im trying to track down some window sheilds like in this pic (above the doors) and the body kit if ya could help that would be great -

2. ok replaced the TPS on the Luce as it was buggered.

took here for a spin and wow what a different car!! it drives so smoothly..

couple of problems has arose now..

fuel milage has gone down (lost about 100km's to a tank)

when breaking hard or the gearbox changes gears hard the hold button starts to flash on the dash and the gearbox locks you out of overdrive (quite annoying on the freeway to newcastle and back on the weekend).
slow down to a stop and accelerate again and the hold button turns off and overdrive can be used again!! :?

also the inherant gen 2 flooding issue rose its ugly head this morning..
so going to either wire a switch onto the fuel pump to shut the pump off so she clears the flooding and when she goes to start flick the switch and she will be running properly.
or ecu change soon..

she is off the road now due to a water seal being spat in the second rear rotor. so rebuild time.

but i would like to clean her up and fix the issues at hand as well.

if anyone has manuals either electrical or service manuals for my model car im willing to pay for them.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
again, nice Luce. off topic but do you know the wheel size and offset ?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow thats really awesome do you know who did the work on the car? also have you considered going manual tranny it might give you less headaches and faster.
[/b]
yep mazda. thats how they come factory.

i really dont want to change it to manual due to the rareity of the car..

im getting the box tricked up and a custom converter hopefully this will tighten her up alittle..

again, nice Luce. off topic but do you know the wheel size and offset ?
[/b]
thanks man haha

well i poped a water seal last week in the rear rotor so full engine rebuild is needed.

will have the wheels off soon and details to ya!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okies another common question scale change button - when the fuel get low you hit the scale change and it will turn the empty-full scale to 5litres-15litres letting you know exactly how much fuel you have left in the bottom of the tank.
it holds the litres scale for about 5 seconds then reverts back to the empty-full scale.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
all digital dashes came with the scale change option, i too have it in mine but highly doubt its that accurate, although can be help too tell when i really need gas !

·
Registered
307 Posts
okies another common question scale change button - when the fuel get low you hit the scale change and it will turn the empty-full scale to 5litres-15litres letting you know exactly how much fuel you have left in the bottom of the tank.
it holds the litres scale for about 5 seconds then reverts back to the empty-full scale.
[/b]
Now for the really cool & collectable Luce. Some really early ones (like the fist 500 cars) had the wrong spelling for the "Cancel" button on the dash. Spelt "Cansel", Mazda actually let them go out the line before anyone realized.

What a (collectable) screw up,

Also, I concur that this is perhaps the only series-II version HC Luce 13B-t powered in Oz....... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now for the really cool & collectable Luce. Some really early ones (like the fist 500 cars) had the wrong spelling for the "Cancel" button on the dash. Spelt "Cansel", Mazda actually let them go out the line before anyone realized.

What a (collectable) screw up,

Also, I concur that this is perhaps the only series-II version HC Luce 13B-t powered in Oz....... :thumbsup:
[/b]
hi dave,

haha nice one that would be a cool colectable.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
some more pics and movie of rear seats moving -

full photo of dash led display

rear stereo controls

storage compartment (yes thats a speaker grill in the rear door)

rear passenger fan controls

rear seat control on door and powerwindow switch

center console cushion for driver

center console cushion clicks forward for shorter driver that has to move seat forward

another storage conpartment in center console

photo's after suspension fixed

fuel scale

intercooler duct

rear seat adjusting

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
thanks for the pics, ive never really seen close up the extra options we didnt get over here. the dash is very similar to our digital but yours has the 7000RPM redline & an extra button or two. the rear seat console is interesting & the rear vents is what i imaged it to be, ours has a plastic cover plate and i found pre wiring when i took mine out. the HC 929s over here also came with the rear door speakers. our front center console isnt as nice as the JDM version, no sliding top peice. the scale change button is always handy & there are grab bars on the back of the fornt seat, we didnt get those. pretty interesting how Mazda engineered the cooling duct.

most large Japanese sedans in the last 15 years have had reclining rear seats. the Infiniti G35 sedan was the first Japanese car we got that had sliding rear seats

what did you do to your suspension it looks lower ?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Damn nice car!! Is that a toggle switch under that red boot? Is that the switch for the pull-in mirrors? I owned my 88 929 for about 4 years before I realized I had heated mirrors! I love the idea of docking mirrors though...

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow thats nuts i've never seen a car with moving rear seats.... the only thing missing is suicide doors....

awesome car man
[/b]
yeh it spins people out when i show them haha

yeh true suiciding the rear doors would be cool. but the car is to rare to mess with..

thanks for the pics, ive never really seen close up the extra options we didnt get over here. the dash is very similar to our digital but yours has the 7000RPM redline & an extra button or two. the rear seat console is interesting & the rear vents is what i imaged it to be, ours has a plastic cover plate and i found pre wiring when i took mine out. the HC 929s over here also came with the rear door speakers. our front center console isnt as nice as the JDM version, no sliding top peice. the scale change button is always handy & there are grab bars on the back of the fornt seat, we didnt get those. pretty interesting how Mazda engineered the cooling duct.

most large Japanese sedans in the last 15 years have had reclining rear seats. the Infiniti G35 sedan was the first Japanese car we got that had sliding rear seats

what did you do to your suspension it looks lower ?
[/b]
no worries man..

with the suspension for the itme being ive replaced all rubber bushes with nulethane/neapreen and got new front shocks and hat the front springs reset.
handles real nice now and has retained its comfort still..

Damn nice car!! Is that a toggle switch under that red boot? Is that the switch for the pull-in mirrors? I owned my 88 929 for about 4 years before I realized I had heated mirrors! I love the idea of docking mirrors though...
[/b]
thanks man.

its a toggle switch for the mechanical boost adjuster. going to get rid of it and get an e-boost controller for it soonish..

the switch to pull the mirrors in is on the right hand side of the steering wheel. ill take some pics of it soon..
mine doesnt have the heated mirrors that im aware of but has heated seats front and rear of the vehicle at the touch of a button

·
Registered
325 Posts
Damn the rear seats are heated too! That thing is loaded! Considering all those extra options, does it use the 65-amp alternator?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yep rear seats are heated as well.
it has the AAS system as well (electric auto adjusting suspension)
its got all the options as standard being the royal classic version.
except the parcel shelf fridge which was standard fitment in the 1986 to 1989 version - known as series 1
series 2 (1989 to 1990) it was an option and mine doesnt have it.
the fridges werent all that good either apparently..

being a rotary version it doesnt run the standard v6 alternator.

they ran the alternator that related to the same generation rx7

so 1986-1989 alternator was a 70 amp version
1989-1990 alternator was a 80 amp version

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hi sim, I gotta say your car is awesome. Looks like you could live in there. I have the Xedos (Millenia) and I'm just looking at your car with envy !

You just can't beat getting a car that is fully loaded but this is off the hook ! My hat goes off to you bro' !

What can I say....awesome ! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
:blink: And where did u find such a rare car such as yours? :blink:
It has everything you could ever want and more, my hat goes off to you! :notworthy:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
wow heated rear seats did not know that, these cars were more equipped than i thought.

now you have the AAS suspension which i (had) but shock replacement was too expensive and north worth wasting money on. i used shocks that were meant for Luce/929 that didnt have AAs, a straight swap.

did you buy new AAS shocks ? and what do u mean buy having the front springs reset ? the Luce has come down at least 2" in the front compared with the first pics

the bushings being replaced must have made a good improvement on handling. how much does it cost to replace the bushings ? im thinking it would be must do on 15+ year old car.

i could use an 80amp alt.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I was looking at your pictures again and noticed the new tach...9ine also has one I think...I thought the digital dash had one..how come you guys got aftermarket ones?? I'm sure there's a simple enough reason, just curious! And the 80-amp alt would be great for me if it just bolts right in place of mine...hmmm..gonna look into it!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
mine is a tach, sims is a boost gauge i think. im not a huge fan of the digital dash, i dont mind it so that tach does the trick. the stock tach is so small and isnt easy to notice when your goin fast and driving hard, i like monitoring my engine speed.

1 - 20 of 270 Posts