Mazda World Forum banner

201 - 220 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
nice one Sim

i was looking at these (as i didn't want needles, wouldn't go too well with star-wars dash)

when they lend, what are their costs?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
hi mate.

$1400AUS to my door for all 4.

but well worth it i reckon.

datalogging
real time measurement
alarm and light settings (ie set the light to trigger at a particular range and there is another auxiliary output you can use to trigger an alarm if you reach high points)

id rather a few alarms go off than something happening and it costing me an engine..

im looking at making a custom overhead console and mount them in that..

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
well bit more of an update

the intercooler is going water to air. this is the style im going -

read here - http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=164573

how im doing mine -

cause of the backpressure the original core will give to my t04e turbo. cause after 12psi not much gains are had. (been shown there is only a 5hp gain from 12psi to 14psi on another forum on the stock cooler)

now since im capping at 14psi id like to to be better flowing.

my issue is i want a good intercooler but dont want it to look like a water to air system as i want it to look like factory cause of the rarity of the vehicle..

so looking at using this system and mounting 4 of them water cores in a row and run the cooler the same configuration as the factory cooler.

ie air for motor runs from front of cooler (front of car) to back of cooler (back of car)

water cores run east to west.

then mount it so its slightly lower than the factory unit (cause all up it will be about 50mm thick so should be room)

then saw the top face section off the original intercooler off itself and also take off the original gaurd. then tac weld them to the top plate of the new water to air cooler to give it the "factory look".

water pipes run under the top guard so unless ya looking for them you wont notice and run a custom radiator for the intercooler at the front of the car painted black..

id like to run an ecu water temp sensor in the exhaust side of the water jacket of the cooler.

run the sensor through the haltech e8 ive got and get it to run 2 outputs..

output 1 - set at a temp so when it starts to heat up it will start circuilating water with electric water pump

output 2 - set to a higher temp so that when it gets hotter it will turn the thermo fan relay on

this should eliminate alot of heat soak too i would hope..

·
Registered
709 Posts
Cool. You wont regret going water to air, i know mine worked perfectly (after a hard run, turbo side would be too hot to touch and inlet side was extremely cool, like it had been sitting in the shade). And the lack of pressure drop was unreal, i know my car would hit boost cut way quicker then others with the same mods, purely because of efficiency.
Will be keen to see how this turns out.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Cool. You wont regret going water to air, i know mine worked perfectly (after a hard run, turbo side would be too hot to touch and inlet side was extremely cool, like it had been sitting in the shade). And the lack of pressure drop was unreal, i know my car would hit boost cut way quicker then others with the same mods, purely because of efficiency.
Will be keen to see how this turns out.[/b]

yeh i know..

i just needed to think out side the box to build something to make it "look factory"

im going water to air with my rx3 and its 12appt engine as well

·
Registered
709 Posts
So hows this coming along Sim?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
hi mate,

well a bit has happened..

front radiator has been fabricated with dual 12" thermos.

my 4 Laminova cores have shown up. just need to engage a fabricator to build it (have someone that has worked on them before)

as for the controoling of the temps in the water to air setup

im going to use a EWP with controller to push the water - http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Electric_Wat...30-details.aspx

using an electronic controller for the thermo fans

im in 2 minds for the thermo controllers -

mind 1 - static on off control by electronic controller - http://www.jegs.com/i/Perma-Cool/771/18907/10002/-1

mind 2 - use a progressive speed controller. so when the water starts to get warm it will run the fans at 25% of there duty cycle.
as the water temp lifts the controllers lift the fan speed to suit -

http://www.jegs.com/p/Be+Cool+Radiators/1180909/10002/-1

also im now getting a full 3.5" SMB exhaust for her.

David Deckers (the guy that built the SP rx7 for mazda Australia) comes to your garage with his tig and builds the exhaust for you in your garage. B)
so i dont have to worry about the car being in a workshop and getting my new engine having the shit flogged out of it (it does happen people)..

body kit ive been chasing since day dot i have got in contact with the supplier. im ordering the front apron and side skirts.

the mazda factory bushes have shown (just waiting on the front ones) then the crossmember nulerthane kit will be constructed.
looking at the factory bushes, i now understaqnd why there is so much movement in the rear member. when i post up pics it will show why..

my FD front brake calipers and FD brake master cylinder has shown up. just need to talk to fabricator for custom hubs..

this is so far since last update... lol

·
Registered
709 Posts
Nice.
My brother is using the Davies Craig EWP on his setup, he has a huge core (same as mine) and a 5L v8. You really shouldn't need thermo fans for your water/air setup. Usually just a controller on the water pump, with a trigger that starts it pumping at a set water or inlet temp, so it doesnt have to be pumping the whole time.

Looking forward to results. Exhaust sounds nice too. Do you anticipate any ground clearance issues with 3.5"?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Nice.
My brother is using the Davies Craig EWP on his setup, he has a huge core (same as mine) and a 5L v8. You really shouldn't need thermo fans for your water/air setup. Usually just a controller on the water pump, with a trigger that starts it pumping at a set water or inlet temp, so it doesnt have to be pumping the whole time.

Looking forward to results. Exhaust sounds nice too. Do you anticipate any ground clearance issues with 3.5"?[/b]

will see how it goes i guess..

well the exhaust is installed solid mounted so its tucked under the body more. then a flex joint will be inplace just before the cat convertor..

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
with the water to air have decided to leave the EWP to run constantly. but have a time delay circuit before it turns on to give the engine time to start and get some temps up before needing the cooler to work. this will eliminate any heat soak.

thermo fans will be controlled by static on off control by electronic controller - http://www.jegs.com/i/Perma-Cool/771/18907/10002/-1

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
not much happening atm

been busy on customer cars.

got front member bushes showing up in a few days so will be able to get the nulerthane kit started.

also found out i could get brand new Luce and royal classic boot badges. so got them while i was at it..

(should pull my finger out and get the mazda grill badge as mine is gone)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
update,

my FD hubs have now shown.

just got to get time to get to CBC bearings now to see if i can get a bearing to put the FD hub onto the HC stub axle. if no go then will be following the custom hub route.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Sweet sounds good. Still looking forward to the finished product :thumbsup:

·
Registered
931 Posts
update,

my FD hubs have now shown.

just got to get time to get to CBC bearings now to see if i can get a bearing to put the FD hub onto the HC stub axle. if no go then will be following the custom hub route.[/b]
im keen to see how that works out. My brakes are shit.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
ok guys another decision time.

rim internal colour

should i stick to the grey

or go gold or black..

still not sure what colour to go..

·
Registered
753 Posts
That's a really good question?

I was looking at some 3-piece wheels and was surprised to see that I get to choose that. I'd make the call based on the color your brakes are going to be. So what color are you going to have your brakes?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Thats easy, always the same colour as your two tone.

Unless its not going to be two tone anymore? In which case, black or silver. Id prob go silver, but its all up to personal taste. As ive always said, if your the one that has to drive it and look at it everyday, then always please yourself.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
ok brakes will end up brembo red.

see thats the problem nine man.

i like all 3 rim colours.

car will be factory colour.

maroon lends itself to all 3 colours

·
Registered
931 Posts