Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why the Mazda 929 (Sentia) is so slow during takeoff and then when the car reaches RPM's above 3,000 it starts to go real fast!
I hope someone will be able to give me a tip on how to fix this performance problem or maybe it's just that the Mazda produces barely any torque due to it having rear wheel drive and losing about 40 horses of it's 195, to the wheels. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mazdas engines are peaky. I have a 1990 Mazda 929s and I expirience the same thing. I believe it has to do with the transmission. I have an automatic, but i use the hold system to shift when i am street racing. It's great becasue i can beat most stock honda accords and civic/civic hatchbacks. I use the hold button witch is located under the shift nob. (Make sure you are in the "power" not "ecomony" mode) While you are in motion, shift the transmision manually to where it reads "1". Then, keeping your speed around 15-17 mph, push the hold button and release. Your car should slide into a lower gear. This should be done 150-200 feet from the stoplight. when you feel your car slide into the lower gear, you can stop at the light. When the light turns green you can stomp on the gas. when the revs reach around 5500 you can push the hold button again. This will shfit into the next higher gear. You can then use the manual shifter to go to the next gear and teh next gear, until you reach "D". that should help your take off problem.

Please reply!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
do you have any mods done to your 929 ??

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by L5S8Game@Sep 17 2002, 11:49 AM
Does anyone know why the Mazda 929 (Sentia) is so slow during takeoff and then when the car reaches RPM's above 3,000 it starts to go real fast!
I hope someone will be able to give me a tip on how to fix this performance problem or maybe it's just that the Mazda produces barely any torque due to it having rear wheel drive and losing about 40 horses of it's 195, to the wheels. :rolleyes:
That is the way the engine was designed to operate. The mazda millenia performs in the same fashion, unless there is still charge in engine.............

·
Registered
0 Posts
Still charge in the engine???. Huh. My millenia was always the same way. I had some gearing work done and its helps. but also you need to find a good launch for your car, so far the best I have is mash the gas halfway then continue apply power thoughout the rpm's

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by ///BHRpowered@Mar 5 2003, 11:03 PM
Still charge in the engine???. Huh. My millenia was always the same way. I had some gearing work done and its helps. but also you need to find a good launch for your car, so far the best I have is mash the gas halfway then continue apply power thoughout the rpm's
Let me clarify, have you ever drive you 2.3 like 100 plus mph, and came to a stop and then launched off again? whenever I do this my 2.3 jets of like crazy (still charge floating around)

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Thats because the compressor is still spinning

·
Registered
38 Posts
my miata is the same way, below 3500 rpms, its a dog, but once it gets in its powerband of 4500-7000, it flys. Its just a peaky engine.

Hey, does the 929 have the miller cycle engine. If so, could someone please explain to me what thats all about

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by Zippadee@Mar 9 2003, 06:51 PM
my miata is the same way, below 3500 rpms, its a dog, but once it gets in its powerband of 4500-7000, it flys. Its just a peaky engine.

Hey, does the 929 have the miller cycle engine. If so, could someone please explain to me what thats all about
That's why you got all defensive when I spoke the truth about the Miata's image!!! :) :lol: :rofl:

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by skiusa2003@Mar 7 2003, 08:31 PM
Thats because the compressor is still spinning
Hence, still producing charge...................... :huh: :mellow:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Originally posted by seldomseen+Mar 10 2003, 01:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (seldomseen @ Mar 10 2003, 01:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Zippadee@Mar 9 2003, 06:51 PM
my miata is the same way, below 3500 rpms, its a dog, but once it gets in its powerband of 4500-7000, it flys.  Its just a peaky engine. 

Hey, does the 929 have the miller cycle engine.  If so, could someone please explain to me what thats all about
That's why you got all defensive when I spoke the truth about the Miata's image!!! :) :lol: :rofl: [/b][/quote]
i don't doubt the image, but I wouldn't want people considering it to be swayed by that. Buy the car for its merits alone (and the miata has many) B)

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by lotsacars@Mar 10 2003, 08:12 PM
Nope, which is why I can't figure out why there's talk of there being 'charge' left in the engine.
Oh my bad, your post was overthrown by Millenia S owners (they're supercharged) .................Anyhow............like I initially stated. You're experiencing a normal phenomenon of Mazda engines. They're SLOW from a standstill

·
Registered
684 Posts
yo im 15 and my dad is giving me his 94 929 which i think is a pretty bad ass car.anyway i was just wondering if there was anyone that had a custom exhaust for theres and if they do where do u get it from.And also what do u think the top speed of ther car is.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
there is no bolt on parts for the 929, everything has to be custom, I think top speed was 131 miles per hour or around that

·
Registered
684 Posts
do u think the 929 can outrun a mazda 6 or a millenia?Or a 626

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
In terms of 1/4 mile Id say that the 92-95 929 with the 3L DOHC (190HP and 191 ft-lb of torque) is in the same range as the Millenia and an auto 626 stock, they all have very similar 0-60 and 1/4 mile time (around 8 secs, dont remember what the 1/4 is about, 16 secs) The 5spd 626 from 93 and up is pretty quick around 7.5 0-60 and a 15.5 1/4 mile, I drove one and I hate to say it, but its pretty quick, quicker than all the cars mention here; Ive driven all of them. With mods its a different story cause they all have potenial to be decently fast, especially the Millenia with its power robbing exhaust system. The first generation 929 with the SOHC 3L V6 is not quick, about 17.5 1/4 mile and a 10.1 sec 0-60 in stock trim. When I picked up my 929 with the same engine (158HP and 170lb-ft of torque) and the very rare 5spd transmision from the RX7 I noticed that it was quiet faster than the sluggish auto and with my mods I can hold my own with most 4 cylinder imports ( I beat my friends 16.2 Civic, nothing to brag about but the 929 5spd does a 17.2 slow 1/4 mile) The 90-91 929S with the DOHC 3L (same output as newer 929, different engine) does a 9.5 0-60 and a 17 flat 1/4 mile. As for the Mazda 6 I dont think any 929 (unless I drop in a 13b turbo; it bolts right up to my tranny) can hang with the 5spd V6 Mazda 6, but maybe the 160Hp 4 cylinder, I couldnt find out how fast it is.

If your lookin for top speed, dont bother, youll never find out...

·
Registered
684 Posts
my 929 is 195hp and 200 ft ib of torque. it is a 24valve dohc but i am getting a jet performance chip and a k&n air filter for it. i hope they will make alot of difference

1 - 20 of 40 Posts