Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 2002 Millenia with 135K on the odometer and has been pretty good considering being a SC miller cycle engine, my second of these cars.

This like bringing back a issue from the dead. I just did plugs and replaced a bad coil, so some of the engine was removed to work on, of course. I also changed my oil to a different brand than what I was using, and I am seeing more smoke on start up in the mornings.

But the question is,"If the oil is a bit over full would it make the engine smoke more than what it did before? The oil looked like it could use a qt. of oil, so I added a qt, and it filled over the full mark by about a quarter of a qt. (8oz)

I started the car after it had been sitting for a few hours and it smoked up the hole neighbor hood, and when being driven smoke pretty heavy from a few intersections, then seamed to clear up, for the next few miles.
The oil I was using was the Mobile 1 75,000 5/30 wt oil, and it looked like the only oil wally world was going to sell was full synthetic, not ready to change to it yet , so changed to Valvoline blend, 5/30, and hence the oil smoke more of.

So I'd appreciate anyone's in put on this problem.
sorry for the long windiness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Replace PCV Valve one oil level is correct.

The old school way of over fill and it'll spit our what it doesn't want don't work with modern engineering so only fill to the correct level in future.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
It also occurs that if the 'new' oil is thinner than the 'old' oil you were using then it could be running past the Valve Stem Seals into the cylinders when you switch off giving you a smokey start up when cold, any oil pooled around the valve guides may flow past the Stem Seals when the engine is hot and stopped or hot and running depending how bad the degradation of the stem seals are.

Cheers

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply and it makes sense as you describe. The oil I was using before was Mobile 5-30. My wally world now carries full synthetic in this weight now and not the regular grade. I switched to Valvoline 5-30 syntetic blend and this is when I started to get the puff of smoke in the AM's now. Same weight just a different blend. Still have to check the little window for the SC and oil deposits..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts