Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Bose system in my 00 S and was hearing that I couldn't just upgrade the speakers. I was told that I would have to replace the entire system, is this true?? Anyone who has upgraded the BOSE sytem please respond.

Steve

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
This is very true.....The bose HU only puts out a signal of what to play but no power....each speaker has its own individual amplifier. So if you dropped new speaker in and hooked it up you wouldn't hear anything. So the HU and speakers need to be replaced. If you do it don't do it yourself. Its a bitch. I saw my car in about 2000 peices when mine was being done. Rear seat, door molding, door panels everything went. Carpet too (because I had mine rewired).

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
In my first millenia I had the boards in the front custom made to fit Pioneer 4 way 6x9's and the the same in the back with a pioneer HU and 2 pioneer 12's. (not sure of model numbers) I left the fifth channel speaker as is and did not hook anything up. In my new Millenia I had a Pioneer HU put in and Boston pro series 6.5 for the front and Boston FX93 6x9's in back. I had two boston pro series 1 inch tweeters put on each A pillar and two boston pro series 12's powered by a phoenix gold 800.1 amp putting out 1000W.

This is unfortunatley the only thing I have done to my car because I can't afford to do much else for a while

·
Registered
49 Posts
Contrary to what most everyone here is thinking there is NOT a seperate amplifier for each speaker in the bose stereo system. There is only 1 amp and it is behind the back seat on the right hand side. For install help go to the tech section and read the thread on speaker/audio problemz, there is info there telling you how to do it.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Well....I suppose I could easily be wrong....thats just what the people I took my car told me. So basically I paid to have my car re wired for nothing. Hm, Figures

·
Registered
20 Posts
All the speakers on a 96 with bose system do have amp. There is only one amp for the rear speakers lcated behind the rear set in the trunk. As far as the front doors, there is a seperate amp for each speaker. I know this cause I rewired my car and had to take those amps out and spilce wiring so I could use the existing facotory wire cause I did not feel like pulling my dash apart to try and feed new wires in the doors.

·
Registered
49 Posts
the amp behind the rear seat has inputs for all 5 speaker going to it. Not just the rear. you can spice all your speaker in at that point. I have a 97 S so it may be different for different years but I doubt it. Since it doesnt show up in the wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
My 95 has amps for each individual speaker, including the rear 6x9's. You DO NOT have to run new wires though. Those f*cks just wanted your money. It's just like when I went to have my front door speakers installed. Even w/ an aftermarket HU, the guy said it would take several hours and cost 100's of dollars because of my "Bose" system. I took it to another place and it only took an hour + 45 bucks. A-holes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
unfortunately this is true in most cases with bose. your going to need to change the head unit with the speakers to get past this one. although, i just got my new speakers put in by a friend and somehow he got passed this. really smart guy tho. most people wont even bother trying.

·
Registered
31 Posts
anyone know where to get the latest HU's for cheap?? ive looked at best buy so far...they seemed pricy and ive seen cheaper ones online. however, i was looking for someone who already found a reliable source. thanks

(p.s) by factory bose HU kept rejecting my cd's on my '99, so i rejected it one morning (i.e smashed in the LCD), i regret that now. DOH hehehhe :x

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
funny story styles. i even get that frustrated from my new deck. I got mine, a Panasonic CQ-DF802U for like $265 shipped ($400 in crutchfield and at car toys, etc) I got it off of ebay from a company called hookedontronics... they have fast shipping and really good feedback.. good company. You could also try woofersetc.com I heard they are good and they have my deck for a comparable price. I bought my front door speakers from carmedia1.com for a really good price and know people who have bought stuff from them with no problems. I bought my rear speakers from scala1 off of ebay who also has a website ikesound.com he has some neg feedback but I had no problem and people off of www.caraudioforum.com swear by him. All in all, I have had really good experiences and have saved my broke 19 year old ass a lot of dough. I pretty much buy all of my electronics stuff online. You just have to shop around for reliable and trustworthy sites. The places I mentioned have some of the lowest prices on the net (from my experience)... if you find any lower be warned because it could be too good to be true. But yea as long as you know what you want I'd say go online... when you walk into a best buy or circuit city you are paying not just for the product but for the people who work there + middleman. Not so online. Also, electronics chains have a limited selection of products, and consequently, they will tell you that an MTX thunder 4000 sub will hit harder than an Audiobahn... :lol:

Last edited by extermin8r at Oct 2 2002, 07:13 AM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts