Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks. 00 Millenia S Millenium Ed not under warranty anymore. Took it to Autozon for diagnostic test. Code 0421 popped up for Bank 1. O^2 sensor I was told.
Now my question..how much does that cost to replace and should I take it to the dealer or find an import mechanic to do it? Is that a job that any skill mech can do or should i trust it to the dealer and get screwed for the cost?

·
Registered
42 Posts
How many miles on your Milly? I thought mine was over but when I brought it to the dealer they said it was 3 years/ 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
66k on the mileage. This is about the 4th O^2 sensor i had to replace. Fortunately the previous 3 was when the car was under warranty. I am seriously considering getting rid of this car. How much would replacing the o^2 sensor cost me out of pocket? :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Changing the o2 sensor is an easy job, if you can change your oil you can change the o2 sensor. The part costs about $100 bucks at autozone & if you have the o2 sensor socket which costs a few bucks its no problem. If you prefer a mechanic, it would cost about 1 hour labor plus parts. Looking at over $200.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Doesn't this sound like a problem though? I mean 4 times in 66k miles for replacing an O^2 sensor. I have never had to replace one on my Maxima which I bought new also and it has over 70k on it? :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well it sure doesnt sound right. When you brought it to the dealer did they replace the front or the rear o2 sensor? I wonder if the dealer just reset the computer & told you they replaced the o2 sensor while it was under warranty. If your going to have someone replace it for you, you might want to take it to someone other than the dealer. I've never had to change my o2 sensor on my 626, which has over 55k.

·
Registered
121 Posts
your O2 sensor *might* affect performance, but nothing drastic. There's a good chance it will affect gas mileage. You could drive the car till it's dead with a bad O2 sensor, you're not gonna hurt anything else. Performance and gas mileage are the only things that could be affected.

·
Registered
31 Posts
the millenia has 4 o2 sensors altogether. with your mileage thats about the right time they go. once its done itll be another 60k till you have to worry again, its nothing unusual

1 - 12 of 12 Posts