Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Mazda CX-5 Sport Touring Front-wheel
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am facing this problem for the first time. 94K miles on my 2.4L 2014 Mazda CX-5. I turned it on today and the steering had no "power". It was hard to turn the wheels as if no power to the electric steering motor. Also, all dashboard lights are on as if there is some electrical malfunction. But the car still drove around a block from the house without any problem other than heavy steering.

Turning the car off was also difficult. One push of button didn't do anything. I had to keep holding the start-stop button down for a long time. Any ideas of what is going on or if I can debug (and fix) myself rather than take to a Mazda dealer.
Speedometer Gauge Car Tachometer Steering part

·
Registered
7 Posts
Might not help but you could try rebooting the system by disconnecting the positive battery terminal and reconnecting it. The condition reminds me of a belt loss on the older cars or low power steering fluid. I am not familiar with 2014 CX 5. Bad connections in harness somewhere. warning lights should not all come on. This seems to point to a central electrical cpu or connecton failure of some kind, possible low voltage condition.
These are all only guesses. You could obtain a code reader to see what codes are coming up. You can get then now as a small bluetooth dongle you plug into OBD and use your phone with an app to see the codes. These are very inexpensive and sometimes reveal a lot. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. There are no pending codes. I did buy a scanner and left the battery disconnected overnight but that didn't help either. Now I have an appointment with Mazda for Friday. Let's see what they find out.
Might not help but you could try rebooting the system by disconnecting the positive battery terminal and reconnecting it. The condition reminds me of a belt loss on the older cars or low power steering fluid. I am not familiar with 2014 CX 5. Bad connections in harness somewhere. warning lights should not all come on. This seems to point to a central electrical cpu or connecton failure of some kind, possible low voltage condition.
These are all only guesses. You could obtain a code reader to see what codes are coming up. You can get then now as a small bluetooth dongle you plug into OBD and use your phone with an app to see the codes. These are very inexpensive and sometimes reveal a lot. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had this issue on my old Mazda CX-5. Mazda has electric steering so check your battery leads. 100% your steering problem is because your battery connections. Clean them properly and your problem will disappear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had this issue on my old Mazda CX-5. Mazda has electric steering so check your battery leads. 100% your steering problem is because your battery connections. Clean them properly and your problem will disappear.
Thanks. I had tried that with no luck. Left with Mazda dealer who really really disappointed me. They said that they will change the ABS module to begin with because there is a code for that. I know that is not the root cause but they wouldn't start with any debug/triage without replacing a $1600 component. I hate them. Let's see what they tell me today.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Forgive me but I continue to believe it's a ground issue. My old cx-5 was from 2013 and I recognise the dashboard because I had nightmares with this problem. When first occured it was while driving and I freaked out. Went to the dealer and I was lucky enough that the mechanic did not bulshit me and he fixed it for me in minutes: " ground issue, the battery leads were corroded and lose". Over the next few years the problem came back every few months. Every time I disconnected the battery leads, cleaned the posts very good, cleaned the leads very good and then reconnect everything, making sure it's tight nothing moving. Try to do that really good. Or ask the dealer to replace the positive lead connector for the battery, the bulky one, with a lots of diodes or whatever those things are. It has to be a ground issue. Don't spend money on expensive stuff.

·
Administrator
225 Posts
I am facing this problem for the first time. 94K miles on my 2.4L 2014 Mazda CX-5. I turned it on today and the steering had no "power". It was hard to turn the wheels as if no power to the electric steering motor. Also, all dashboard lights are on as if there is some electrical malfunction. But the car still drove around a block from the house without any problem other than heavy steering.

Turning the car off was also difficult. One push of button didn't do anything. I had to keep holding the start-stop button down for a long time. Any ideas of what is going on or if I can debug (and fix) myself rather than take to a Mazda dealer.
Any update on this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts