Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just discovered the forum and thought I might share my recent experience. I have a new Millenea 01, Miller Cycle. At my first oil change at just over 5000 kms I decided to use an oil that I have used in all my vehicles - Castrol GTX 5W30. This is a great oil by the way for those who wish to use dino (conventional) oils. I noted a very minor improvement in the gas mileage over long distances from the original factory fill. At 8,000 km I switched to Valvonine Synpower Synthetic at the recommendation of a very good technician, who is also my friend. I noted two things - improved pickup and a drastic improvement in fuel mileage (over long distance driving only - no significant improvement in stop-and-go situations). I have since used Petro-Canada synthetic and Mobil 1 Tri synthetic, and I can say that synthetics have provided better acceleration and fuel mileage (long trips). Of the three synthetics I found Valvonine to have offered slightly better mileage and acceleration. Note - this is not a post to rouse a debate on which oil is better.-

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have been using synthetic oil in my car since i bought it...i bought it and the next day i had the oil changed. I think synthetic oil was one of the best things ever made...my dad owns a fleet of 200 vehicles and every single one uses sythentic....i can't tell you how many times i have seen a vehicle come in that has almost no oil in it, and everything still be working perfect....So if he can use it 200 vehicles with no problem i think i can use it in my car. Been using this stuff for bout 3 yrs now. Just thought i would let you guys know.

Brian

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Further to my earlier posting on the subject - I have used the following 5w30 oils in my 2001 Millenea:

Non-synthetic Factory fill and Castrol GTX; Synthetics are Valvoline Synpower,Petro Canada Synthetic, Mobil 1 Tri Synthetic, Amsoil synthetic with Amsoil filter. All with API SL designations.

My preferences:

Fuel mileage on long trips- (1) Valvoline outstanding (2) Amsoil (3) Petro Canada (4) Mobil 1 (5) Castrol/Factory Fill

Fuel mileage city driving - No difference

Reduced Engine Noise at low speeds: (1) Mobil 1/Amsoil (2) Valvoline and Petro Canada significantly more

Pick up Power: (1) Valvoline/Amsoil (2) Petro-Canada (3) Mobil 1

Temperature needle: (1) Valvoline/Petro-Canada/Mobil 1/Castrol and Factory Fill steady (2) Amsoil - slightly higher

Exuberant Miller Cycle Noise/Feeling when picking up fast: (1) Petro Canada/Valvoline (2) Amsoil/Mobil 1 give a much quieter performance.

What will I use? I think it will be between Valvoline and Amsoil. But really all are good. The above is strictly non-scientific and everyone's car may behave differently.

Price wise - no difference between synthetics (appx cdn$50.00).

Cheers.

Struggle is the meaning of life. Defeat or victory is in the hands of God.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I go with the recommended oil change intervals - 8000km (5000 miles) to maintain my new car warranty. Oil drain intervals is a controversial subject with manufacturers like Amsoil advocating extended oil change intervals - upto 25,000 miles. I looked at Mobil 1 site some time back and a Jaguar owner said he changed oil every 10,000 miles using Mobil 1 as per Jaguar recommendations and Mobil 1 responded that's fine. Another owner wrote his manufacturer said change oil every 5000 miles and Mobil 1 response was stick to the vehicle recommendation. None of major oil companies want to commit themselves to extended intervals. I just purchased a case of Amsoil and they clearly state the 25,000 mile/or annual interval. I would not do it lest I run into problems with Mazda.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I have been using Mobil Synthetic Motor oil in my 2.3 S, since day one. And I haven't had any problems with my Mill. I have noticed that, the car warms up slightly faster during winter seasons, and that the temp gauge displays a slightly cooler temp (all year round). That's about the only two things I have noticed differently since using synthetic motor oil.

I also change my oil at the 5k interval, to get my monies worth! The oil never "overly-soiled" nor does my Mil burn oil; hence, I've been content with my decision to use synthetic motor oil.

Last edited by seldomseen at Aug 29 2002, 06:08 PM

·
Registered
13 Posts
I see a few of you using 5w30 weight. The manual specs 10w30 and most v6 engines I've owned use 10w30. I'm in the MidEast/Ohio valley where temp cool off...so I'm curious to see if anyone's ran 5w30 in a range of high and low temps for good results.

I'm a fan of Valvoline semi-synthetics and full synthetics, but I've seen on other boards that some Mazda owners saying to avoid synthetics in Millenia engines...no idea why though.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I use Mobile 1 Synthetic 5-30 in my Millenia. Thats what the techs told me would be best (not necessarily for brand but that 5-30 is what they recommended). Its consitantly in the 90's in summer and in the 20's in the winter and it works great

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also switched to synthetic at first oil change. I use Mobile1 5-30, but I might try Valvoline next time. I change my oil every 5k miles, but I think I will switch to 6-7k since user manual recommendation is 7,500 miles under normal driving conditions (and I tend to accelerate and drive fast). I also noticed improved mileage on long distance trips, but haven't seen any changes in temperature.

How about oil filters? My first oil change I bought filter from Mazda dealership, but I think I will go with regular FRAM filters in the future, (or whatever else Wal-Mart offers). Somehow I do not think there is much difference, but maybe I am wrong.
Any recommendations/comments?

·
Registered
40 Posts
i just tried Valvoline Synthetic today WOW!! my car drives so different. The Jerking is almost gone and it responds much faster. I know my car, trust, it's not in my head, there's a difference thanks alot fellas. I'm a big fan of synthetic now.

Last edited by millblac98 at Oct 19 2002, 01:36 AM

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Originally posted by MilleniaSS-02@Oct 17 2002, 12:58 PM
I also switched to synthetic at first oil change. I use Mobile1 5-30, but I might try Valvoline next time. I change my oil every 5k miles, but I think I will switch to 6-7k since user manual recommendation is 7,500 miles under normal driving conditions (and I tend to accelerate and drive fast). I also noticed improved mileage on long distance trips, but haven't seen any changes in temperature.

How about oil filters? My first oil change I bought filter from Mazda dealership, but I think I will go with regular FRAM filters in the future, (or whatever else Wal-Mart offers). Somehow I do not think there is much difference, but maybe I am wrong.
Any recommendations/comments?
I like the Fram filters, they are easy to put on and take off.. I don't have to use any tools, just get a good grip on it :)

I loosen them before I change the oil out of the car, because then it's easier when your hands are greasy :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have made a full circle with synthetic oils on my 2001 Millenia S - Valvoline, Petro Canada, Mobil 1 (tri synthetic), Amsoil and back to Valvoline. I am convinced that my vehicle drives best with Valvoline Synpower in every respect. With regard to filters, Mazda appears to resemble the Fram filter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts