Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Sport Compact Car conducted a comprehensive analysis of a product similiar to the Tornado, it was called the Spiral Max. If my memory serves me correct this analysis was performed about 1.5 to 2 years ago.

Thier findings: The product is essentially GARBAGE - though the concept behind the product is luring!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a 99 S and I have been toying with the idea about intake modifications. Which is the recommended? I currently have a K&N drop in filter. The options I was considering were: Cone filter on stock inlet hose-however I am worried about too much hot air ingested orTurbonator with stock setup. What type of power gains do u normally get from the cone filter on a Millenia S (espacially to justify the cost)? A previous vehicle I owned was a 93 RX7 Twin Turbo that I had modded to about 285HP with basic bolt ons on stock sequential turbos. I opened the stock intake up with a Racing Beat Inlet duct, K&N drop in filter, and added Bonez downpipe. Turbochargers respond well to intake mods-how do the Supercharges do on the S?

·
Registered
6 Posts
any intake increase will help a cars performance...let me clear up a few things.....the tornado is crap it will not work and may actually DECREASE performance as it adds turbulence to the intake flow....the E-Charger...dont even think about spending your money on this unless you want to flush $300 down the toilet...this will not pressurize or even equalize pressure on the intake of a NA car....best addition to your intake would be a good CAI....and dont spend $300 on an INJEN or AEM kit...make your own,I did and it works great!!! e-mail me if you need help building one...and yes it does include a cone filter w/a velocity stack B)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have the Tornado and currently putting it to the test. I have read the reviews about it, but I was too curious and just have to buy one. I had money to burn, so it's no big loss. I'm gonna take it out/ put it in after every tank fillup. Crunch some numbers and see if this thing is garbage or not. :ph34r:

·
Registered
399 Posts
I found with past experiences that replacing the entire intake system with a cone filter/pipe gives quicker response, but you tend to lose a lot of torque because it doesn't have a reserve or cache of an air pocket for that acceleration rush. So unless you can run a cold ram air system, it's hard to find a compromise.

However I did find a small company on eBay called FXTeknology which makes an OEM air filter replacement, with a new generation foam filter. Works great! I found it much better than the cotton gauze filter of K&N, because foam allows more air through while still trapping the same dirt. Response time was quicker and I found a bit more power boost. It also helped out my acceleration flat spots. And at 20 something bucks, I would recommend this simple upgrade.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't waste your money on a foam filter that you'll have to replace every 3,000 to 6,000 miles. Go with K&N and you can up to 100,000 miles before you have to clean it and it has a 1,000,000 warranty.
I've put almost 30,000 miles on the K&N that I bought for my 1993 B2200 and it still looks like it came out of the box. I had it dynotested and gained 5hp. Which you can't feel but it did give me better gas mileage.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ok, so I did my long-term testing of the Tornado. Here's my results: GARBAGE! GARBAGE! GARBAGE! After alternating with and without it, I found the Tornado does hinder my fuel efficiency and actually made my car go slower in acceleration. It's strange how the Tornado does keep my rpm's hanging more longer then when it's not in the intake tube after I let go of the gas pedal. Think you guys can explain?
It's off now and now the 1st half of my tank last up to 130-140 miles when it reaches the middle dial of the gas gauge. With the Tornado, I was only getting 100-110 miles to the middle dial. Sometimes I'm lucky to get 120 miles. I do half and half of city and highway driving every day. BTW, alot of shitty Boston drivers. Not me of course! :D
Anyone wanna buy my Tornado? :whistle:

Conclusion: Tornado is CRAP! :x

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Thanks for the report! Sorry to hear you wasted your money....glad it was you and not me :rofl:

·
Registered
428 Posts
LOL Your welcome ski. Glad I could be the guinea pig of Mazdaworld.org :lol:
Kiddies, buy ice cream instead of a Tornado twister. :rofl:

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by MilleniaFalcon@Apr 18 2003, 11:05 AM
Ok, so I did my long-term testing of the Tornado. Here's my results: GARBAGE! GARBAGE! GARBAGE! After alternating with and without it, I found the Tornado does hinder my fuel efficiency and actually made my car go slower in acceleration. It's strange how the Tornado does keep my rpm's hanging more longer then when it's not in the intake tube after I let go of the gas pedal. Think you guys can explain?
It's off now and now the 1st half of my tank last up to 130-140 miles when it reaches the middle dial of the gas gauge. With the Tornado, I was only getting 100-110 miles to the middle dial. Sometimes I'm lucky to get 120 miles. I do half and half of city and highway driving every day. BTW, alot of shitty Boston drivers. Not me of course! :D
Anyone wanna buy my Tornado? :whistle:

Conclusion: Tornado is CRAP! :x
Sorry to learn of your mistake! :rofl: Any of us coulda told you so! j/k..................just fabricate a short ram intake..............and use an HKS foam filter!

SCC did an article on the SpiralMax...............and the results were identical to yours! :p

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by 20zMilleniaS@Apr 20 2003, 04:22 PM
I know that no one actually thought the Tornado would work. This has to be a j/k.
Sometimes folks just get very desperate in finding performance enhancement products for their millenia, that they resort to miracle products, like the tornado or sprilmax.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It was all out of fun buying this wasted piece of metal. Didn't loss anything major. I'll just have the Tornado recycled for better future products. :lol:

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by MilleniaFalcon@Apr 21 2003, 12:00 AM
It was all out of fun buying this wasted piece of metal. Didn't loss anything major. I'll just have the Tornado recycled for better future products. :lol:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
How much did the Tornado cost you?

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by skiusa2003@Apr 21 2003, 12:07 PM
How much did the Tornado cost you?
are u interested in wasting your pennies too!!? :flowers:

·