Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the a milly S, and im looking for some expiriences with driving the milly "sporty", will it just wear out the tranny like it did on my friends honda?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I just keep my traction control off at all times :)

How can you drive sporty when the computer's tryin to do your thinking!??!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Hey Miller Cycle can you explain in detail the purpose of that torque converter. Wouldn't that be more for heavily modded out cars? Is it really necessary on a 210 HP mil? From what I gather it makes the tranny tougher (hence the use in higher HP engines) Or does it actually improve the tranny's shifting for better acceleration? Let me know I'm confused.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The torque convertor is what an automatic transmission uses to shift instead of a clutch. TC's (in general) use a mechanical stall limit to designate engagement. The stall for our cars is about 1500rpms to 1800rpms (not sure exactly). This means that as soon as the engine gets to that stall rpm, the TC begins to engage the driveline. Shift electronics tell it when to shift to a higher gear and help tell it how quickly to make the transition.

This aftermarket TC will raise the stall RPM as well as make for firmer shifts due to a difference in it's make-up. It is built to handle more power than the stock one. The stall RPM can be wherever you want it. It just needs to be told to them when you order.

The transmission is still the same. The only difference will be how quickly/effectively the power is transferred to the transmission. Doing something like a TC swap does not decrease reliablity or change how long the car lasts. There is no extra wear to the transmission involved due to the lack of a power change.

Is it neccissary? Not exactly. It all depends on your application. But consider this. That TC in our car....is also the same one in every FWD automatic that Mazda has. This means it is not built for a "sporty" application. I think we all agree that the Millenia S can be very sporty.

With this in mind, if you want to be able to "power brake" at a more reasonable RPM so that launching is closer to the power curve, this is something to consider. Shifting should be a little more crisp, but nothing like having a re-built valve body for a shift-kit.

Last edited by Miller Cycle at Sep 3 2002, 01:01 PM

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
This sounds cool man... it would spare me the problem of using the hold button. Are you going to put this in yourself? Or have it done? How much would this cost to get put in?

·
Registered
40 Posts
That topic hasn't been thought about yet. I am still trying to get settled into the new appt....and funds are kinda low. I was considering the job myself, but I may have someone else do it. Depends on the price. My guess is a couple hundred to have it done. But then again...it would be done right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i have a '99 milly S, and its seems to shift really firm, but i know what you mean, the tranny doesnt want to go sporty. thats what i think they should have had for this car, either tiptronic, or a "sport" mode like the acuras. then that would give the driver some fun. i know you can control the shifting with the hold feature, but its really not designed for the "sporty" purposes.

Last edited by Styles P at Sep 15 2002, 03:57 PM

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Originally posted by Styles P@Sep 15 2002, 03:55 PM
i have a '99 milly S, and its seems to shift really firm, but i know what you mean, the tranny doesnt want to go sporty. thats what i think they should have had for this car, either tiptronic, or a "sport" mode like the acuras. then that would give the driver some fun. i know you can control the shifting with the hold feature, but its really not designed for the "sporty" purposes.
The Mazda6 will have that :)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Originally posted by Miller Cycle@Sep 16 2002, 11:20 AM
It will, but it won't have the Miller Cycle. Which sucks.
It outputs more horses on a naturally aspirated engine than the Milly did with the supercharger....

So I don't see the downside :)

·
Premium Member
24,081 Posts
Originally posted by extermin8r@Sep 4 2002, 01:31 AM
This sounds cool man... it would spare me the problem of using the hold button. Are you going to put this in yourself? Or have it done? How much would this cost to get put in?
the TC is 500 and about 500 for installation at level 10

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
dang, ya'll dug in the crates for this one

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I have a question that is a tech question so I may start a new post there. Will someone explain what the stall speed is and how raising it affects acceleration etc. The torque converter will be my last mod for performance on the millenia most likely so I have some time to learn a few things so I can do the transmission right.

Marcus

1 - 20 of 106 Posts