Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front main seal is leaking like a stuck pig. So, recently, while changing my head gasket, I naturally planned to fix that as well. So, I ordered the timing gear puller from Autozone with the rest of my parts. Well, they swapped out the one I ordered, why I don't know, for, of course, the wrong one. Anyway, I just need to know what size and thread pattern the harmonic balancer bolts are, so I can go pick some long ones up for the puller. HELP ME!

·
Registered
45 Posts
You don't need or use a Gear Puller to remove the Harmonic Balancer on a B2000 (FE engine) or B2200 (F2 engine) engine. If you are just changing the timing belt on these engines, then you only need to remove the six small 10mm bolts to get the largest part of the harmonic balancer off of the engine.

If you need to replace the crankshaft front oil seal, then you can leave the six 10mm bolts in place, and just unbolt the single large 21mm bolt and the whole harmonic balancer, with the lower timing belt gear attached, will come off of the engine in one piece.......after loosening the timing belt, of course.

You can then remove the crankshaft front oil seal that is inserted into the front of the oil pump......it is a rubber coated oil seal, so resist the urge to slather the new seal with RTV, on the outer perimeter surface of it, prior to pushing it into the front of the oil pump! I use a non-silicone sealer on the seal's outer perimeter edges prior to installing it, as a silicone based sealer will create a "slippery" contact surface and can actually cause the seal to push itself back out of the oil pump recessed bore where it is installed.

Some pics showing the front oil seal......

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Wheel Engineering

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Bicycle part Gas

Rim Fixture Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

Fixture Automotive tire Wood Gas Auto part

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.