Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 Tribute is not wanting to move in reverse. Normally when it's placed in reverse it will start to move on it's own, and then with power from the accelerator will move quicker. Currently, when I put the Tribute in reverse it's not moving at all, and when I push on the accelerator it's still not moving until I give it a lot more power. No problems in Drive, and accelerating normally. Any suggestions as to why I don't have power in reverse?

·
Registered
91 Posts
#1 check for AT fluid level and condition. Then...
If reverse will only engage with a engine rev (but then works ok when finally engaged) the issue is most likely a worn out or damaged seal someplace in the AT valve body. This is a major issue. Some transmission shops and the dealer will do pinpoint diagnostic repair but the majority will simply say its time for a new/rebuilt transmission or at minimum a new valve body. I am assuming the vehicle has 100K+ mikes? Sorry I don't have a simple answer. :(

Please post what it ends up being for the forums education.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If reverse will only engage with a engine rev (but then works ok when finally engaged) the issue is most likely a worn out or damaged seal someplace in the AT valve body. This is a major issue. Some transmission shops and the dealer will do pinpoint diagnostic repair but the majority will simply say its time for a new/rebuilt transmission or at minimum a new valve body. I am assuming the vehicle has 100K+ mikes? Sorry I don't have a simple answer. :(

Please post what it ends up being for the forums education.[/b]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Please post what it ends up being for the forums education.[/b]
The vehicle has 190,000 miles. Do you know rough estimate what the cost for a new valve body would cost?

·
Registered
91 Posts
190K is really good. You really might consider the whole unit.

I don't have a price but there are web resources that can give you an idea. The labor to the rebuild could end up exceeding the cost of the parts if other items are discovered along the way. Thats why the most common fix is a AT swap with a tested rebuilt.

On that Tranny. If you go that path - Don't get "Used". Get one that is rebuilt/reman and tested by a reputable shop with a 3y or longer warranty. You might be able to have the tyranny shipped to the repair guy if your into that....

Here is some info to give you a feel for parts...call and ask...
http://www.transmissionrebuildcenter.com/r...ansmissions.htm
http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/tr...nsmissions.html
http://www.jasperengines.com/automatic-transmissions.php

(I am not endorsing any these guys but the web sites look good....) best of luck. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everyones help on this. I had a shop look at it and they said I need a new AT. They also said if I didn't want to go this route, because I may only have the Tribute for another 6 months or so, that I could look at using Lucas Transmission Fix. This will help with the seals and reduce or eliminate the slip that's happening with the AT. Does anyone have any feedback on using Lucas Transmission Fix or any other additives to get me by during the next few months?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Lucas products are the only additives I use (besides Seafoam). Their transmission additive helped out tremendously on a 1995 Saturn SL1 (TATT Valve body wear). It brings up the viscosity and seems to dissolves some of varnish on inside surfacers... Not a real fix but it sometimes helps just enough to get by... Don't add too much and overfill though.

Thx for the update. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2001 Tribute is not wanting to move in reverse. Normally when it's placed in reverse it will start to move on it's own, and then with power from the accelerator will move quicker. Currently, when I put the Tribute in reverse it's not moving at all, and when I push on the accelerator it's still not moving until I give it a lot more power. No problems in Drive, and accelerating normally. Any suggestions as to why I don't have power in reverse?
Why my Mazda 2004 doesn't want to reverse? Can you please help me?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts