Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm looking at doing the timing on my 929 but have heard you have to earth a pin #10 on a certain plug, if this is right where is the plug located? The only one I can find is next to the coil and only has 2 rows of 3 and has the single plug which is used to check the engine check light next to it so this isn't it.
Any help and pics would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
chuk

·
Registered
931 Posts
when i did the timing on my car i just did it the normal way and it worked fine, ill check my manual for u tomorrow chuck.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The 'test connector' is decribed in the manual as a single contact, green plug, like you described. On my car, it's located right by the air intake filter/box, next to an auxilliary fusebox on the driver's side (at least on the NA version with left hand drive). There's a 6 connector green plug bundled with it/next to it, in the harness.

The shop manual procedure for the '88 and '89 929 is the same, so it should work for your '90 too. Just warm up the engine, run at idle, jumper-wire the test connector to ground, connect the strobe timing light, and point to the timing tab/balancer marks. Adjust by turning the distributor base. Timing should be 15 degress + or - 1 degree BTDC.

Admittedly, I haven't done this procedure, so let's hear back if this seems right....

·
Registered
931 Posts
i think donbryce youll find it is actually 5 degrees + or - 1

anyway this is exactly how its worded in the Mazda service manual.

1. Warm up engine and run it at idle.
2. Turn all electric loads OFF
3. Connect timing light tester
4. Disconnect the vacuum hose from the vacuum control and plug the hose (if it has one)
5. check the ignition timing mark (yellow) on the crank shaft pully and the timing mark on the timing belt cover are aligned

Ignition timing: 5 degrees + or - 1 BTDC

6: If necessary, adjust the ignition timing by turning the distributor.

·
Registered
459 Posts
i think donbryce youll find it is actually 5 degrees + or - 1

anyway this is exactly how its worded in the Mazda service manual.

1. Warm up engine and run it at idle.
3. Connect timing light tester
4. Disconnect the vacuum hose from the vacuum control and plug the hose (if it has one)
5. check the ignition timing mark (yellow) on the crank shaft pully and the timing mark on the timing belt cover are aligned

Ignition timing: 5 degrees + or - 1 BTDC

6: If necessary, adjust the ignition timing by turning the distributor.[/b]
Here's the skinny, as printed, from my manuals:

1. Warm up the engine and run it at idle.
3. Connect a timing light tester
4. Ground the test connector to the vehicle with a jumper wire.

Ignition timing: 15 degrees + or - 1 degree BTDC (at idle speed)

6: If necessary, adjust the ignition timing by turning the distributor.

My guess is that your instruction sets the timing with the vacuum advance disabled, mine sets it with the advance connected.

·
Registered
931 Posts
what engine does that say its for don?

mine is a JE sohc 88 -on model

·
Registered
459 Posts
Both manuals, for the '88 and '89, are for the JE SOHC 6-cylinder 2954cc displacement engine. Valve timing is listed as follows: INTAKE Open 9deg. BTDC, close 53deg. ABDC Exhaust Open 51deg. BBDC, close 11deg. ATDC. (I'm no guru on how these numbers are related to the timing specs., but you could compare to your engine manual) Idle speed is listed at 650 +/- 20 RPM.
I think we may have different JE engines, mine having been built for the north american market.....but I dunno....

·
Registered
931 Posts
i dunno about it either. my manual as far as i can tell was made for the aussie market.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 'test connector' is decribed in the manual as a single contact, green plug, like you described. On my car, it's located right by the air intake filter/box, next to an auxilliary fusebox on the driver's side (at least on the NA version with left hand drive). There's a 6 connector green plug bundled with it/next to it, in the harness.

The shop manual procedure for the '88 and '89 929 is the same, so it should work for your '90 too. Just warm up the engine, run at idle, jumper-wire the test connector to ground, connect the strobe timing light, and point to the timing tab/balancer marks. Adjust by turning the distributor base. Timing should be 15 degress + or - 1 degree BTDC.

Admittedly, I haven't done this procedure, so let's hear back if this seems right....[/b]

The sticker under my bonnet does say 15 degrees + or - 1 degrees but now my charging system isnt charging so I've got to fix that first now, I think I'm being given the hint that if it's not broken dont f*ck with it,

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
actually I fucked up in my last reply, I went out there today to look at why my alternator is intermitent in it's charging and thought I'd write down exactly what the sticker says, n this is it.

Ignition Timing
8 degrees + or - 1 BTDC at idle speed with test connector for idle speed connected

Idle Speed
700 RPM + or - 20 RPM (in the P range)

Setting Proceedure
1: warm up engine, shut off all accessories
2: make sure that the idle switch is on.
3: connect test connector for idle setting
4: adjust idle speed to the specified RPM using the air adjust screw.
5: disconnect test connector.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts