Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had tried to change the waste gate somehow. I've heard that you can increase the boost if you add a bleed to the turbo somehow. As you can tell I have no idea about turbo's and the mechanics of them, but was wondering if anyone's heard of this and if it's possible. I'm looking to get some more performance out of my car for the 1/4 mile!!

Mike

·
Registered
903 Posts
What I would do with a turbo is get a boost controller. That way you can give it more boost electronically. When you mess with the wastegate you can get up to ~18+lbs of boost, but you do run the risk of damage.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
with a boost controller on a stock turbo.......would you be able to give it more boost that just running it stock??

Mike

·
Registered
349 Posts
ooh.......techical stuff. pylon what kind of car do u have, that u are trying to make faster in the 1/4 mile?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bleeding the wastegate...oh, it's been awhile. :devil: I drove a turbo LeBaron Convt. in high school, and I ran 14 psi with a bleed (stock was 7 psi). I didn't dare bleed my Talon, it was already too fast. If you're going to mess with the turbo, first buy a RELIABLE boost guage. Then see what your stock fuel system can do. I learned that my LeBaron would supply fuel to match up to 14.7 psi, as not to lean out the a/f mixture. You might need to up fuel pressure, get bigger injectors/fuel pump, etc. An a/f guage would be a necessity, also, unless you're particulary fond of engine swaps. :) For a bleed, basically what you're doing is tricking the wastegate (which holds your boost at a certain psi) into thinking the turbo is putting less air into the intake manifold than it really is. You're basically leaking off some of the air that runs in a vacuum line from the intake manifold to the wastegate so that it "sees" a lower boost level than you're actually producing. Fun stuff, and very inexpensive (I spent like $15 at a pet store for the parts to do it), but potentially dangerous.

Shaun

1 - 5 of 5 Posts