Mazda World Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
the catch here is the mazda paint. cars during late 80s early 90s were horrible.

the peeling paint is not like bad paint that cracks and peels, this peels like a laminate. you can take a corner and peel large chunk of paint off revealing perfect metal.

the 626s 929s and 323s suffered from this (especially white), the red paint oxidized, and the blue, brown and metallics had issue of clear flaking and weathering really badly.

·
Registered
790 Posts
so thats why my garage queen has sun damage at 100k :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Im new to the forums and car (note the name), but i bought one this week, always loved mazda and anything they made.

pics:

Mazda has been in my family for a while, and it all started with my dads 1990 626 and my oldest brothers canadian spec Precidia (MX-3), than my brother got a dead 88 RX-7, couldn't get it to run, and now has the Miata pictured in the picture above.

NOTE: both cars are work in progress-es... hahaha

·
Registered
180 Posts
New Port Richey, Fl

I own Mini boomers old car, and I am going tomorrow to look at a black 929s(unknown year) That a kid in my neighbor hood drives, I want it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey yall in down here in Austin TX. I got me a 1990 Mazda 929 V6 3.0L 24-valve DOHC. it belonged to my dad and he trashed it out :angry: so i took it over! i drive a ford mustang so i dont know a lot about the older mazdas so i need lots of help finding parts! any advice will help!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey, I've got a white '92 929 with no peeling paint (130,000 miles). I live in Salem, OR. I inherited this car when I married my wife, I like it but am tired of not being able to get parts for it. Think I'll get a muscle car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i am the proud owner of a 91 929 s and i am from michigan names chris i'm the third owner of this car . the car has about 93,000 miles and has never seen a winter but i am noticing the clearcoat peeling off in large sheets . i hope a re paint will solve this problem. the car runs well minus a heater core. i just5r wish parts were not so expensive or only had to come from a dealer
B)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Richmondville NY

Just picked up a maroon 5 speed 88 mazda 929 tonight, has been sitting in a garage for the past 4 years. Needs a fuel line and certainly a tune up as it runs a little rough from sitting that long. Before the owner parked it, it had the timing belt done, new tires, and shocks. Looking forward to learning more about this vehicle. I could not beat the price of 250 bucks!! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts

got some pictures, this is how it sits at the moment, got it running better, the convertor is clogged, gonna punch it out this week, and run the fuel lines, will be all set after that

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
well I got 2nd 93 929 now and it has even solar system witch is really awesome but anyway this one has a white paint ant its peeling already at the front bumper and paint on my silver 93 929 its not peeling at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello, from Michigan and own a gray 1990 929S with 155k miles. Bought it in June of 2009 with 147k miles from a guy named Dave that I am now 100% sure knew 98% more about the mechanical condition and repair costs than he let on. It was very clean for being a Michigan car. Though it was bought and lived in Texas for most? of its life.

I found out after I bought it that it needed WAAAY (waaay) "WAAAAY" more than was originally apparent. The previous owner did no maintenance. The cooling system was in abysmal shape, but I didn't find that out until after the water pump blew during a 25 mile drive in an extremely heavy down pore. That took out the weak left bank head gasket. I had to much money into the car all ready to call it a wash (front/rear brakes, exhaust repairs, 2 tires) so I did a complete head gasket, upper end gasket, water pump, timing belt job, and recored the brass tank model radiator since it was corrosion plugged. Took me 30 days to complete the job because I could not afford to break a single thing and the engine had not been cracked open since it was made. It was absolutely a restoration job rather than a repair job.

As a side note, not that you 929ers don't all ready know this, 929 parts are next to IMPOSSIBLE to find, when you do find them they are special order, cost more than could be imagined in a bad dream, and 33.00929% of the time they are the wrong damn part.

Good thing for this car that I like the beast for some crazy reason.

I have been here since day 1 of buying this 929S. Seems that this forum is the only real source of information on these cars (which has surprised me from the start since I expected there to be a lot of info out there).

Now that I have formed a long mental list of questions that I can't seem to find the answers to I plan to soon write that list out in a post here when time permits.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi I thought how many 929 owners from US are here. I don't see much. If there is any please write down yours state, city, and what year is the 929. Just like to know where are the most 929 owners and how close they are.
I'm from Florida, Daytona Beach I got '93 929 Premium Package Original Factory ENKEI Wheels.[/b]
I live in East Palo Alto, CA. I have a '94 929. US Model

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys, I'm helping Mazda North America out with a special event, and they are looking for a PRISTINE '92-'95 929... for display use. Anyone here have, or know where one might be? If so, please let me know and I will have Mazda contact you.

THANKS,

-Bern

brhslm "AT" earthlink "DOT" net

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey i'm in Coeburn Virginia 24230 and have a 1990 Mazda 929 with the 3.0L 18 valve engine.

also i need the part of the grille mounted on the hood can find it no where bugs meeeeee driving with out it

41 - 60 of 79 Posts