Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 b2200 truck w/EFI. Is it possible to replace the valve seals without removing the head. My particular concern is how difficult is it to put the new seals on the stems. Anyone had any experience along this line???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by nick@Sep 18 2002, 07:13 PM
I have a 1990 b2200 truck w/EFI. Is it possible to replace the valve seals without removing the head. My particular concern is how difficult is it to put the new seals on the stems. Anyone had any experience along this line???
[snapback]1231[/snapback]​
First of all you need an air compresser to keep the valves shut while you remove the valve springs to fit the new seals. You enter the compressed air through the spark plug opening via a special connection bought from your auto parts store.
Remove the rocker arm assembley , refer to your manual to do this, it`s a big job. Do one set a time( intake and axhaust) per each cylinder. Bring the cylinder to the top of the given valves you are going to do ,say number 1. At this point all of the spark should be removed so you can turn the engine over by hand and you can connect your air line to #1( run it as high as it will go 120 psi.) You bring each piston to the top incase for what ever reason a valve falls in the combustion chamber and it won`t go far.
You will also need to purchase a special valve spring compreser to remove the springs to gain access to the seals. Removing the seals is the easy part. Just grab them with a pair of slip joint plyers and twist and pry it off, being carefull not damage the head or the valve stem. Install the new seals being careful not to damage the soft neoprene sealing part.
Keep in mind that if the seals are worn the valve guids may be worn too and it might be more economical to simply install a reconditioned head. I bought one for about 425.00$ from my local machine shop. It took me 12 hours from start to finish to install a new head.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by nick@Sep 18 2002, 07:13 PM
[snapback]1231[/snapback]​
First of all you need an air compresser to keep the valves shut while you remove the valve springs to fit the new seals. You enter the compressed air through the spark plug opening via a special connection bought from your auto parts store.
Remove the rocker arm assembley , refer to your manual to do this, it`s a big job. Do one set a time( intake and axhaust) per each cylinder. Bring the cylinder to the top of the given valves you are going to do ,say number 1. At this point all of the spark should be removed so you can turn the engine over by hand and you can connect your air line to #1( run it as high as it will go 120 psi.) You bring each piston to the top incase for what ever reason a valve falls in the combustion chamber and it won`t go far.
You will also need to purchase a special valve spring compreser to remove the springs to gain access to the seals. Removing the seals is the easy part. Just grab them with a pair of slip joint plyers and twist and pry it off, being carefull not damage the head or the valve stem. Install the new seals being careful not to damage the soft neoprene sealing part.
Keep in mind that if the seals are worn the valve guids may be worn too and it might be more economical to simply install a reconditioned head. I bought one for about 425.00$ from my local machine shop. It took me 12 hours from start to finish to install a new head.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Martin@Dec 3 2004, 01:04 PM
[snapback]225080[/snapback]​

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Martin@Dec 3 2004, 01:04 PM
[snapback]225080[/snapback]​

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Martin. Yes, I was able to do the job, basically as you said. It wasn't much of a problem at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts