Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several reports about the milly having front, vented brakes. How do these differ from the normal disc brakes? I know there are slotted brakes, and drilled brakes...but those never come stock and they are in a different league. Does anyone know the brake sizes on the milly off hand, I would guess 8" in front 6" in back? Also what is the advantage of vented brakes?

·
Registered
31 Posts
i dont know much about brakes, but im pretty sure vented disc brakes help keep them cooler in stress situations. you know the old saying...."hot brakes fail" :ph34r:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
It helps them cool down faster, which allows for better bite when the caliper puts the pad to the rotor.

Granted, I've heard that aftermarket rotors don't last as long... but that's just hearsay. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Originally posted by bryanj@Oct 3 2002, 12:03 PM
I have read several reports about the milly having front, vented brakes.  How do these differ from the normal disc brakes?  I know there are slotted brakes, and drilled brakes...but those never come stock and they are in a different league.  Does anyone know the brake sizes on the milly off hand, I would guess 8" in front 6" in back?  Also what is the advantage of vented brakes?
Front Discs Ventilated, 11.7 in. (9.6 in. effective)
Rear Discs Solid, 11.3 (9.7 in. effective)

Vented discs are basically two solid discs separated by a fan-like webbing that allows air to go between them to cool the rotrs down. Solid disc is what it says - one solid disc.
Now sloted rotors have grooves cut in the side of them to allow to disipate heat and gases that gather there during braking, same thing applies to cross-drilled rotors. A lot of people would swear that sloted are better than cross-drilled, or vice versa, but that's a matter of preference and application. Cross-drilled rotors have been known to crack under heavy braking conditions. But unless you race your car on daily basis, either ones would work. Check out
KVR Performance

Also, steel belted hoses would help brake performance.

Last edited by Giedrius at Oct 4 2002, 09:49 AM

·
Registered
12 Posts
slotted brakes are made pretty much for racing ...or really good stopping power for high HP cars...they clean and help the brake pad more flush..but also they wear your pads down alot quicker...crossdrilled are more for looks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by SpeedsNstyle@Jan 4 2003, 06:59 PM
the millenia is known for having an excellent braking system, i also have a 95 m3, and the millenia's are far better, at about 25k i replaced the brakes with brembo sport brakes, as well as larger, crossed driller rotors and calipers, at low speeds i think the stock brakes worked better, but once i got it going over 150 i needed high performance brakes
SpeedsNstyle,

I think you may be exaggerating a little about the Millenia's braking system. I also have an M3(96), and the M3's braking system in night and day better than my 95 Millenia S. The M3 is stock, and on the Millenia I have KVR cross-drilled rotors (Brembo's with holes drilled in them) and KVR pads. My M3 stops quicker, with less fade (I know a lot has to do with the M3 suspension having a lot less dive under heavy braking than the Millenia), and the ABS system on the M3 is orders of magnitude more refined. My friend has a Maxima and he mocks my Millenia on how bad the ABS kicks in on slippery surfaces.

As a side note, I hope your statement of, "the Millenia is known for having an excellent braking system", is in fact correct. My Millenia's brakes feel a little spongy, so I hope my problem is that I have air in my brake lines. I was thinking of changing to ATP Super Blue fluid. What kind of fluid do you have in your cars? Since this is the first time I will be changing my fluid by myself (i.e. not going to a dealer) do you have any insight for me about changing the brake fluid? I was told that I need a clear tube to drain out the fluid from the lines, but I do not know what the diameter of the tube should be.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I agree with speeds. Iv read on edmunds, car and driver, road and track etc that all millenia's get the highest rating. on an M3. eh, well I have a friend with an m3 which iv driven, I wouldn't say the braking is better, just has a different feel to it. the ONLY reason to get after market anything related to brakes would be installing a turbo or supercharger in which massive amounts of extra horsepower at the wheels are produced, and thus, you need more stopping power. brembo's are good, but you won't find any for the millenia. vented simply means its 2 disc's with an air guiding web desgin inbetween for cooling. slotted is kindi the same, drilled/crossed drilled is also the same exact thing, the rotors have drilled holes in them which offer better cooling at lower speeds and help the "vents" work better at high speeds. plus it looks cool ON THE RIGHT CAR.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
And he doesn't own an M3....in fact, the car he said he owned ended up being stolen. He most likly doesn't own a Millenia either. He told us that Mazda Japan stoped production for him to fabricate a 99 jspec RX-7 5spd transmission that would fit in his millenia. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to admit, I changed the brake fluid in the Millenia and the brakes have dramatically improved. I bought the Millenia used so I did not know what to expect out of the stock system (that is why I overcompensated with the KVR crossed drilled rotors and pads).

Tirerack sells Brembo rotors for the Millenia. (I hope this link works)
tirerack

Yes, the M3 and the Millenia have very different feels to them (it took me a while to get use to the M3) and at low to normal speeds, both braking systems are very good, but at high speeds (100MPH+) I believe the M3 is better (again, a lot has to do with suspension (and I might be a little biased because I spent $22K more on the M3 than the Millenia)).

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
From my point of view, if the M3's braking capability was not as good or better than the Millenia, I would have to bang BMW on the head. I think the M3's braking capability is lightyears ahead of the Millenias. Its a 50K sports car for cryin out loud. And, its a BMW at that.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by skiusa2003@Mar 18 2003, 11:18 AM
From my point of view, if the M3's braking capability was not as good or better than the Millenia, I would have to bang BMW on the head.  I think the M3's braking capability is lightyears ahead of the Millenias.  Its a 50K sports car for cryin out loud.  And, its a BMW at that.
The Millenia has excellent breaks as far a factory performance goes. Throw on some Cross Drilled or Slotted breaks, High performance pads, and Break Lines. The Millenia's breaking system will be equal to that or even better than the M3's Carrera's etc............

The other dood was comparing apples and oranges..............

·
Registered
0 Posts
I think its unfair to comapre a german made sports car to the millenia, especially one like an M which is designed to handle almost as good as ferrari's. the thing I like about the millenia is how the instant the brake is pressed you start to feel the power of them stopping you, and if you increase the braking power the brakes respond just as well. my mom for instance has a 98 lincoln nav and my older sis has a ford explorer, and on both those cars you press the brake in a good inch or so before they start to do anything, and then it just feels unsure (this has also happened to me on v6 mustangs). just doesn't sit well with me. lets also remember the millenia is much higher then any 3 seris bmw c-class mercedes whatever, so its gonna take more to stop. but millenia's look better doing it.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
You mean the Millenia is heavier? And BHR....those are called power brakes!

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by ///BHRpowered@Mar 18 2003, 08:38 PM
I think its unfair to comapre a german made sports car to the millenia, especially one like an M which is designed to handle almost as good as ferrari's. the thing I like about the millenia is how the instant the brake is pressed you start to feel the power of them stopping you, and if you increase the braking power the brakes respond just as well. my mom for instance has a 98 lincoln nav and my older sis has a ford explorer, and on both those cars you press the brake in a good inch or so before they start to do anything, and then it just feels unsure (this has also happened to me on v6 mustangs). just doesn't sit well with me. lets also remember the millenia is much higher then any 3 seris bmw c-class mercedes whatever, so its gonna take more to stop. but millenia's look better doing it.
I don't think it makes sense to compare A BMW M# to a Ferrari.............A Porsche okay, depending on which model...............

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
You shouldn't be comparing cars that are not in the same class anyway. Ferrari - 911T......Audi TT, BMW Z4, Porsche Boxster........BMW M3, CLK 430........etc...etc...etc...

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by skiusa2003@Mar 19 2003, 01:17 PM
You shouldn't be comparing cars that are not in the same class anyway. Ferrari - 911T......Audi TT, BMW Z4, Porsche Boxster........BMW M3, CLK 430........etc...etc...etc...
thanks for the clear reinforcements...................

·
Registered
0 Posts
the millenia's a fat bastard weight wise. yes I'm aware of how power brakes work, however I can still tell a difference between every car I drive, ford/lincoln have slow response time and seem weak, all teh bmw's I'v ever driven are either 2 touchy or just don't feel like there doing enough(but iv never driven say an M5) and like on that whore of an ex's civic, well honda, you do the math

·
Registered
0 Posts
In terms of handling and suspenion it is fair to compare an M to say a 355 or 360, ferrari's may be more aerodynamic but M's, especially the new ones are in the top 5 best handling cars in the world, and everything above belong to either lamborghini or ferrari, I believe the WRX falls in around 8.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts