Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally, I'd start writing the weekly update at this point in my day - however, I've got a paper due in my Comm class tonight, so I'll be working on that first.

You can still expect the usual news and info today, but I won't get a chance to post it until 11:00 or so (EST).

Hope no one's really, really depressed about that... :rolleyes:

Duncan :D - bear with me, please

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Originally posted by Duncan@Oct 23 2002, 03:37 PM
Normally, I'd start writing the weekly update at this point in my day - however, I've got a paper due in my Comm class tonight, so I'll be working on that first.

You can still expect the usual news and info today, but I won't get a chance to post it until 11:00 or so (EST).

Hope no one's really, really depressed about that... :rolleyes:

Duncan :D - bear with me, please
Hey thanks Dunc :)

just do me a favor, and start it in a new thread with the date on it. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Consider it done... :)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Update, now with more great info than ever, has been posted and can be seen in this same thread. Simply scroll down to get the latest.

Seriously, I'm quite proud of this one. Enjoy!

Duncan :D - your intrepid reporter

Last edited by Duncan at Oct 25 2002, 02:22 PM

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Originally posted by Duncan@Oct 24 2002, 09:01 PM
All right, screw it. I've been trying to get the Update posted for the last two hours or so, but my computer refuses to cooperate.

Thus, it'll have to wait until I can use the lab at school tomorrow. And it's too bad, because there's important things I'd been hoping to get up here...

Oh, well. Hold out one more day, if you please.

Duncan :angry: - f**king Windows 98...
If you need a copy of Windows XP, I can arrange for that ....

:rolleyes:

This message will self destruct after it's been replied to :)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah, don't worry about it. I'm using the PC lab at school now (which runs on 2000), so I'm good.

Thanks for the offer, though - and I am thinking about upgrading at some point... ;)

Duncan :D - the update is coming, I swear

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Originally posted by Duncan@Oct 25 2002, 02:04 PM
Nah, don't worry about it. I'm using the PC lab at school now (which runs on 2000), so I'm good.

Thanks for the offer, though - and I am thinking about upgrading at some point... ;)

Duncan :D - the update is coming, I swear
Well if you need a copy just let me know, I can get you one. Won't be any trouble.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Weekly Update - October 24-25, 2002

Seriously, this is the one. Accept no substitutes, it's finally here - and, in my opinion, the Update is now better than ever. Enjoy!

Mazda Minutes

* First off, a note for the history books. On October 17, executives from both Mazda North American Operations (MANA) and AutoAlliance International (AAI, the Flat Rock, Michigan plant shared with Ford) kicked off the first North American production of Mazda6 sedans. I believe we can all wish them success!

And that's not all for the 6: based on the horrible translation I received from Mazda's Japanese site, the 6 has either been selected or is set to be selected as New Zealand's Car of the Year. Once I find a better announcement - preferably in English - I'll let you know.

* Now, some major news from the HQ in Hiroshima, as reported by Reuters. Mazda announced on October 21 that they are planning to outsource production of their commercial truck lines (the Titan and Bongo) to a division of Isuzu Motors. The Hiroshima plant where these trucks are built will be closed, although the nearby Ujina plant - which had been shuttered last year - will be reopened to build more passenger cars. In fact, the company's burgeoning sales in the passenger car market, compared to lackluster returns from the declining commercial truck sector, are what prompted Mazda to make this decision.

* And finally, new to the Japanese market is the revised Spiano Turbo, one of the K-class vehicles built under license by Suzuki for Mazda. The Spiano, which will probably never be coming to the USA, is powered by a 660cc triple that's been turbocharged and intercooled to produce around 60hp - not bad for a tiny wagon.

Race Report

Following a strong showing by Mazda Protege drivers at Road Atlanta on October 11, Mazda is on track to clinch the manufacturers' championship in Speed World Challenge Touring Car racing this weekend at Virginia International Raceway (VIR).

Led by Jeff Altenburg in his TriPoint Motorsports/Mazdaspeed entry, Protege drivers finished in five of the top 10 positions (3-4-5-6-8), following only the Real Time Racing Acura Integras of Peter Cunningham and Pierre Kleinubing. Altenburg, in fact, was just 0.003 seconds away from taking second place when the checkered flag fell.

Between points leaders Cunningham and Kleinubing, the Touring Car drivers' championship is effectively locked up. But the manufacturer title is wide open - BMW still leads the points race with 53, but Acura and Mazda are right behind with 50 and 48 points respectively. That's a spread of just five points between the leaders! BMW can clinch the title with just one second-place finish, but strong showings by either Acura or Mazda - as at Road Atlanta - could mean a hard-fought championship victory.

Thus, we would all be well-advised to keep our eyes on Speed Channel for the next few weekends. Since Speed World Challenge coverage is tape-delayed, the VIR finale won't be televised until Saturday, November 9 at 8:00 PM (EST). In the meantime, you can get a look at the Road Atlanta competition this coming Saturday at 8:00 PM (EST).

Here's a question for the readers: Would you rather hear the Touring Car results as soon as they've been released, or would you like me to wait until after the TV airing happens (so I don't spoil it)? I'm leaning toward the former, but please reply to this thread with your thoughts.

Interesting Tidbits

Research and consulting firm Frost & Sullivan estimates that the sport compact tuning market, already a staggering $131 million business in 2001, is poised to become a $300 million business by 2008. They also note that the vehicle base for sport compact tuning has grown considerably, moving beyond imports to include domestic vehicles and traditional sports machines as well.

Those Other Guys

* The Birmingham Auto Show - in England, not Alabama - is host to the unveiling of MG's new SV performance coupe (formerly known as the X80 when announced two years ago). The show car is a "tuned" Xpower Club Sport version, featuring a full-boogie 4.6-liter DOHC V8 that makes a monstrous 465hp. Other, "lesser" versions will feature a 326hp variant of the same engine - which is probably a Ford design, though MG wasn't telling anyone. Chances that the car will reach American shores are smaller now than they had been, though the prospect has not been totally ruled out.

* Hyundai has announced that they will be making a big splash at this year's Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association (SEMA) trade show, bringing along no less than 22 custom and concept vehicles for display. Though no specifics were released, many of the aftermarket's top names will be represented at the Hyundai stand - and on vehicles ranging from the zippy Tiburon and Elantra, all the way to the snore-inducing Sonata and XG sedans.

Their plan is to get Hyundai noticed among the tuner crowd, the idea being that the money saved in choosing a Hyundai will be put to use in modifying the vehicle after purchase. To that end, the company has been aggressively seeking out the top aftermarket suppliers to help in their quest for acceptance.

In addition, the same show will be host to the unveiling of the very first Hot Wheels car based on a Hyundai - a scale version of this year's championship-winning SCCA ProRally Tiburon, with graphics by famed designer Troy Lee. (As a side note, has Mazda ever been represented by a Hot Wheels car? I remember a Matchbox version of the Mazda RX-7, but that's all I can think of...)

* And last but far from least, one other big happening. The Car Connection reports that Nissan has leaked some details on its forthcoming full-size pickup. The engine is apparently a new design, based on the current 4.5-liter unit but totally reworked for truck use. And there will apparently be some sort of a "bed solution", though a Chevrolet-style midgate has already been ruled out. The new pickup is expected to debut at the Detroit Auto Show in January, with production beginning at Nissan's new Mississippi plant sometime during next year. Unsurprisingly, they're planning to follow that up with an SUV based on the same platform - and maybe even a 3/4-ton version to better compete with behemoths like the Ford Super Duty and Dodge Ram HD pickups.

Remember at the top of this report when I mentioned that Mazda had decided to get out of the truck business? Let's hope they stick to that philosophy...

Duncan Malloch :D

Last edited by Duncan at Oct 25 2002, 02:25 PM

·
Registered
428 Posts
Damn D!! Don't your fingertips get numb? Thanks for the info though. :D

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad to be of service! ^_^

I encourage comments as to what people would like to see in the Weekly Update - and please feel free to reply with your opinions on the news as well.

Duncan :D - nah, my fingers aren't numb in the least...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts