Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently noticed a noise which sounds like a winding down noise as I slow down, applying brakes and even when not applying brakes. My tires are all good. It sounds as though it is coming from the front left of the car near the driver tire. Anyone know what this could possibly be? The noise never is heard when the car is on or idling, just braking and slowing down. Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
its probably your tire and the only reason you dont hear it when your accelarting is because of the engine noise. I could also be a bearing. Try rotating your tires and see if it goes away. I could also be your breaks. I doubt its your cv joints, when they go bad you will know for sure its them.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
i started getting this too last night!!! i put the car up on jackstands a little while ago and threw it in drive... my right wheel doesn't spin!!!! ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Originally posted by Milenia21@Oct 21 2002, 09:24 PM
I have recently noticed a noise which sounds like a winding down noise as I slow down, applying brakes and even when not applying brakes. My tires are all good. It sounds as though it is coming from the front left of the car near the driver tire. Anyone know what this could possibly be? The noise never is heard when the car is on or idling, just braking and slowing down. Thanks!
Check the condition of your halfshafts (the drive shafts that extend from each side of the transmission), wheel bearings and CV joints. I'd lean toward the halfshafts or bearings, simply because CV joints make different sounds when they go bad (usually it's a clicking sound when making a turn).

Since it happens no matter what the brakes are doing, it sounds like a drivetrain problem instead of a brake or tire problem. And I agree with Sarsour - try listening real carefully to that side of the car while you're accelerating, and you'll probably hear the same thing.

Duncan ;D - hope that helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts