Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i just picked up a used 2006 mazda 3 with the 2.3l engine. I am going to just drive it this winter how it is just to get a feel for it and see if I can notice any issues and then early next year when the weather gets better, I am planning to do all the maintenance needed for 100,000 miles. The reason I want to do it all at once rather then one by one is because I want and need this car to be reliable so I dont have time for it to break down etc etc. the past owner doesnt really know about the maintnenace info since hes not a car guy at all. I checked the car fax for my vehicle and it seems like it recently he had the automatic transmission serviced which i assume means new fluid and filter, it got new power steering, new brake fluid and new brakes, new air filter. So i know i will be fine for all the fluids. I did some short research and it seems like I will probably have to change the following but looking for feedback or if im missing anything

(just changed both belts and the tensioner this weekend)
1. Spark plugs and wires? or just the plugs? - have to check them tho because maybe they were changed in the past 1-2 years
2. Water pump and new coolant?
3. i believe the alternator is making a whine so i will have to check that before i decide to replace it
4. all the o2 sensors?
5. clean the maf/throttle body
6. fuel filter?
7. something about a thermostat? what is that?

let me know if i am missing anything or if any of the top arent necessary mainteance

ill probably order all of the stuff from rockauto, any recommendations for brands?

thx a ton!

·
Registered
6 Posts
hello, i just picked up a used 2006 mazda 3 with the 2.3l engine. I am going to just drive it this winter how it is just to get a feel for it and see if I can notice any issues and then early next year when the weather gets better, I am planning to do all the maintenance needed for 100,000 miles. The reason I want to do it all at once rather then one by one is because I want and need this car to be reliable so I dont have time for it to break down etc etc. the past owner doesnt really know about the maintnenace info since hes not a car guy at all. I checked the car fax for my vehicle and it seems like it recently he had the automatic transmission serviced which i assume means new fluid and filter, it got new power steering, new brake fluid and new brakes, new air filter. So i know i will be fine for all the fluids. I did some short research and it seems like I will probably have to change the following but looking for feedback or if im missing anything

(just changed both belts and the tensioner this weekend)
1. Spark plugs and wires? or just the plugs? - have to check them tho because maybe they were changed in the past 1-2 years
2. Water pump and new coolant?
3. i believe the alternator is making a whine so i will have to check that before i decide to replace it
4. all the o2 sensors?
5. clean the maf/throttle body
6. fuel filter?
7. something about a thermostat? what is that?

let me know if i am missing anything or if any of the top arent necessary mainteance

ill probably order all of the stuff from rockauto, any recommendations for brands?

thx a ton!
If it has a timing belt versus a timing change, I'd change the belt. Using RockAuto, you can check for your engine to see if your engine takes a belt or change. I see you mentioned you changed the belts. If you meant the timing belt, great. If you only changed the alternator, water pump, A/C belt, you might consider attacking that timing belt. This is for others that may not have done this.

My 1991 Mazda MPV (250K miles) was a non-interference engine so I'd just drive it until the belt broke (approx. every 50K miles). Some motors, unsure about yours, could be an interference motor, meaning when your timing belt breaks, the piston can hit the valves causing much expensive damage.

Since RockAuto prices are cheaper, I'd get the popular name brands, you still save money. Like their commercial says, enough for a meal afterward too.

A thermostat is normally closed until it warms up, allowing for faster warmups. It would go hand in hand to change the thermostat when you change the water pump. If it sticks closed, you can overheat your motor, if it sticks open, not a huge issue, just longer warmup time... if you live where the winter gets real cold, this could be a issue with your defroster. The thermostat is generally located just past that large diameter black hose on top of the engine, it also generally has its own housing which it fits inside. Your vehicle may be different.

Youtube is your friend for how-to's, I like Hayne's repair manual or factory repair manuals, available on CDs.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You might want to have a used oil analysis done. Google "Blackstone Labs" in Ft. Wayne...this will show you the wear metals, dirt, water, etc in your engine. Also check the radiator hoses; if to soft they can fail on you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts