Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i lik the rx7 but i see too many kids driving them, is the car reliable, is it really fast, is it worth the price tag?
i seen 1 MX6 on mdifiedcars.com and it looked sweet but dont know anything about that car, would you says its good?
the miata, i heard alot of people on places like supraforums.com bad mouthingit alot. is it a good car?

o yeah when i say good car i mean does it suit what i want in a car which is: fast, not too hard to control, easy to maintain, reliable.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Originally posted by Ashok@Nov 2 2002, 10:19 AM
i lik the rx7 but i see too many kids driving them, is the car reliable, is it really fast, is it worth the price tag?
i seen 1 MX6 on mdifiedcars.com and it looked sweet but dont know anything about that car, would you says its good?
the miata, i heard alot of people on places like supraforums.com bad mouthingit alot. is it a good car?

o yeah when i say good car i mean does it suit what i want in a car which is: fast, not too hard to control, easy to maintain, reliable.
RX-7 for the most part is not reliable due to the turbos. If you can find an RX-7 minus turbos, then I'd jump on it but otherwise not.

Personally I'd look at the Mazda6. For 25 grand you get a car that handles GREAT, looks GREAT, has a great interior and plenty of room.

And you can bet that there will be a lot of aftermarket stuff for it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
yeah im going to have to agree, everyone that owns turbo rx7s say there nice and fast, but to always have a couple grand saved up , because there known to brake down

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Oh as per the Miata... it was named "most fun car to drive" by a few magazines a year or two ago.

There's a good reason for that.. it's not got a lot of power but it handles SUPERB, it's RWD, with a nice little interior and one of the best shifters on the market.

I just don't like roadsters myself, so it rules it out for me. That's why I'm getting the RX-8. Need that back seat :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
If your looking for a coupe, I'd go with the MX-6 with V6. Also I would highly recommend going with a 5 speed, the automatic transmissions aren'nt known for reliability. The 6 is pretty quick & some pretty good mods are available for it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Depends on which RX-7 you're talking about. First-gen (1979-1985) and second-gen (1986-1991) models with the naturally-aspirated 11A or 13B rotaries will, given proper maintenance, be very reliable. Likewise, second-gen and third-gen (1993-1995) Turbo models will also be very reliable - given proper maintenance.

The key there is that last phrase, "given proper maintenance". The reason Shayaan says turbo versions are less reliable is, I suspect, based on the fact that any turbocharged vehicle tends to invite abusive behavior. Thus, it only makes sense to look for a turbo RX-7 with an immaculate service history and an owner who understands the nature of the beast. We're talking regular oil and coolant changes, all wear items checked or replaced on schedule (especially the seals on the rotor tip and crankshaft) and turbo cool-down cycles after hard runs.

But that's for turbos. With the naturally-aspirated rotaries, later models are always better. In the first-gen, look for the 1984-85 GSL-SE with the top-of-the-line 13B rotary (more power and stronger mechanicals). Any of the second-gen models will be about the same engine-wise, but the 1989-1991 versions were available with better suspension setups.

The turbocharged 1986-1991 and 1993-1995 models are regarded as some of the best performance cars ever built, but again, any of these cars must be regarded as suspect unless they've led fairly pampered lives. And if you want one of the later RX-7s, look for a complete set of service records and get to know a mechanic who's familiar with the peculiarities of rotary engines.

In fact, later is better where all Mazdas are concerned, at least in most cases. For instance, the early (1990-1993) Miatas are great cars, but their 1.6-liter engine is fairly lacking in usable torque for highway driving. Later Miatas (1994-1998 and the second-gen from 1999-on) carry a 1.8-liter engine that's a lot more tractable in a variety of situations.

And by the way, people who badmouth the Miata (that is, the overboosted maniacs at the Supra forums) have never experienced one. I have, and it's brilliant. Try it before you knock it.

Duncan :D - I really want a Miata, but I need a Protege

·
Registered
38 Posts
The miata is a great car, if you want an oversized go-kart. And if you have issues with the power output, go to www.flyinmiata.com and buy yourself a turbo kit, a 220hp 2300lb car isn't something i would bad-mouth

If you need a car for more than just weekend duty, the 6 is the best new mazda out there. I test drove the V6 with 5spd and although the clutch was too light for my liking, it handled and accelerated quite well.

Good luck on your search and let us know your decision
;)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I hate the 6 because I own a millenia. the rx-7 is great, but after 100k you might as well just take out the engine and bury it, no questions asked. depending on your price range id go with a millenia or a newer miata

·
Registered
53 Posts
Heh, I think I sound like a broken record on this forum....

RX-7s can be perfectly reliable if they are taken care of properly.

Duncan is correct for the most part. The apex seals actually aren't wear items, but they are the achilles heal, if you will, for the rotary. (btw, the eccentric shaft doesn't have any seals or wear items) Properly cared for, however, a rotary can run for 200k miles or more.

Looking at what you want out of your car, I wouldn't recommend a RX-7 to you yet. Rotaries are high-maintenance engines, which means you have to be totally dilligent with your basic maintenance. Oil changes have to be done on a strict 3k mile schedule. You have to check your oil level at every fill-up and make sure it never gets low (the rotary injects oil into the combustion chamber as part of its normal function, so it does consume oil on a daily basis). You have to watch your coolant level and temperature. And, you have to rev it.

Because you want something easy to maintain, I'd say go for a car with pistons. If you aren't willing to put in the maintenance time, then a rotary would not be reliable for you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In a used car survey on Mazda's MX an RX models the german auto-zine 'AutoBild' wrote (some months ago) that all models are very reliable (above average). Especially the last RX-7 (FD) was praised for beeing durable. They didn't found any general weaknesses. However maintenance isn't cheap and the RX-7 has to visit service every 10 000 km or so (don't know for USA/Canada).
For the most, so it was written, the owner has just to watch over the coolants and lubricants, the breaks and tyres. (Provided that the known rules of driving a turbo-powered car are respected.)

Greets

·
Registered
0 Posts
if take care of the cooling system on any rx-7,even a turbo model your only gonna have to deal with common problems, at common mileages. now after 100-110k if kept stock the engine is gone. I know this sounds carzy, but its like the only car in the world where modding it can actually increase its lifespan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts