Mazda World Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a 2018 CX 5 Grand touring. It was a lease return car with 25K on the odometer. First the salesman drove out a white CX 5 for us to try that was a year newer and had all of the Apple car play/Android auto stuff in it. That car had more miles on it, a lower trim level and I just didn't engage with it initially. If I'm plopping down that kind of money I wanted the higher trim level which led me to the red 2018 GT. It is common knowledge that turbo chargers wear an engine faster and it's one more thing to go wrong. For this reason I would not buy a 2021 with a turbo. Granted it will probably be a long time before you see the results with a new car. A turbo will also lessen your mileage. I'm averaging between 31-32 mpg with this car in a mix of hwy/city at 70/30. Since I'm a 1 hour commuter each way this is important and impressive in a car of this size. As a comparison, I have a Toyota Corolla that averages 34mpg but it isn't half the car this is.

The GT has sport mode which is nice if you need to pull away from a location fast. I use it sometimes so I won't be sluggish coming off a 4 way stop, then I go back to regular automatic mode. The paddle shift is nice and I use it on occasion. One of my other cars is a Nissan Murano with a 6 cylinder engine. I mainly keep it for when it snows or if I need to tow. That car will still eat the CX 5 for lunch. It takes off like a rocket and has plenty of passing power, so for me the CX-5 was a healthy compromise. I had to give up some power for improved gas mileage. The Murano averages 21mpg. The Murano is not a fair comparison in this class but it's my point of reference.

The CX 5 has a 4 cylinder engine albeit a very well made one and it's coupled to a nice 6 speed transmission. It gets the job done, but it has that expected boat motor whine when it winds up. Nothing like the smooth takeoff of a 6 cylinder engine. At least they didn't do what Ford did in their small SUV and put in a turbo charged 3 cylinder. A few things I would like to know as a new car owner.

- Apparently there have been comments about the red paint chipping. My lease return had a few very small chips in the hood they touched up. You really don't notice it unless you get really close to the car. If I were a new car owner I would be looking at some kind of front protection. They make clear protective coverings. My car looks as if maybe it was caught in road construction once. Nothing too bad so far. I don't think it had anything to do with the paint job itself. If it bothers me too much I'll just take it to a body shop and have them fix it.

- I added the apple car play/android auto aftermarket myself. The 2021's come with it standard. Not sure, it might even be wireless. Dealer cost for that add on was in the $500.00 range. I did it for about 160.00. If you already have it be thankful. If you don't it isn't that difficult to add. For me it wasn't a deal breaker. The car already had onboard Nav. Onboard nav doesn't use up your phone's data. The news, podcasts and music are nice which could probably replace XM radio here in the US. I use Android auto and it works well with Google maps and Wayz. The built in nav can be had if you don't own it for not much $$. It's simply a card you slip in your SD slot. Having the infotainment stuff is nice but for me it's just toys I didn't need since I did all of that before with my phone in the car.

-Most of the more important mechanical things you need to know won't be important until much later. As with any car regular oil and filter changes are mandatory. The 2.5 skyactiv engine has a timing chain instead of a timing belt which is a good thing. From the info I've gathered on it, the chain will not last as long as the timing chain in my Corolla which will probably go to 300 thousand miles with no worries. While still better than a belt, the chain in the Mazda apparently stretches some over time. The timing chain stretches and there have been tensioner problems at just past 100K miles on this engine. For this reason I would have the chain and tensioner changed at 100K. You can't afford to throw a timing chain because this engine will destroy itself if the timing is off and you will be looking at a full engine replacement/rebuild. Having a turbo might mean you need to look at this sooner.

-The transmissions in many older Mazdas were supplied by an outside company. These transmissions were problematic. The more recent CX 5's have a transmission designed in Japan by Mazda. After so many failures I think they decided to make their own transmissions. These transmissions appear so far to be a far superior product to the old ones. This was a good decision and it should save you many headaches further down the road.

I know I'm a writer, overall I think the 2018-2021 Mazda CX 5 is one of the best designs by Mazda ever. They have a clear winner here. I didn't buy mine to trade in in a few years. I'll probably drive it until the wheels fall off as my daily driver. This car competes very well with any other car in this segment. About the only thing the competition can claim is slightly more rear cargo space, but not by much.Everything else about this car is better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, can you please tell me how to install a new android stereo, all connected, installation is simple, but I dont know how install the rearview camera? What kind of camera to choose? how to connect it? Link to the unit, I'll leave, I hope I'm not blocked for this, I have no experience in the similar can you look at its characteristics and help me. Thank you very much!
Automotive design Vehicle Car Audio equipment Personal luxury car

·
Administrator
234 Posts
Hi, can you please tell me how to install a new android stereo, all connected, installation is simple, but I dont know how install the rearview camera? What kind of camera to choose? how to connect it? Link to the unit, I'll leave, I hope I'm not blocked for this, I have no experience in the similar can you look at its characteristics and help me. Thank you very much!
View attachment 10645
Dunno what car you have but have you checked to see if there are any Youtube vids to help you? How about a local car stereo installation shop?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts