Water Pump
Windshield
Catalytic Converter
Both Front Seats (cosmetic reason)
Steering Wheel (cosmetic reason)
(2) Windshield Wiper Pump Motors
Upper Control Arm Links
(4) Timing Belts

Not to mentions tires, batteries, oil changes every 4K with castrol, etc.

And finally, the reason I got here....looking for new keyless entry remotes..both have gone bad! (And yes they have new batteries)

This post and pictures were updated on 08.30.09. The Goal: 300,000 miles (on original engine).

[/b]

Impressive. Thats the most miles I have ever heard on a Millenia.

On my 98 Millenia 2.5L I have a few problems. It has 181k miles and so far I have ball join problems (upper arm and control arm) on both front wheels and I also need to replace struts for both front wheels also. I also have a oil leak on top of my engine block, I always have to add some oil every 3-4k miles, i don't know how to fix it. I'm thinking all I have to do is re seal the engine block with some paste? and last. Every time I turn on my car I hear a clicking or knocking noise, it goes away after the car warms a bit or wen I drive of.

I have a white 2000 Millenia 2.5l. I bought it in July with 131,000 miles, and now its got 137,000 miles.

Since I bought it, I've replaced the timing belt, changed the oil (twice) with Mobil One synthetic, had the transmission fluid replaced, bought three used tires for $25 a piece, bought a spare, replaced a broken tail light with one I found on eBay, replaced the fuel filter, new front brake pads and replaced the bulbs in the headlamps.

My check engine light is on, and I suspect it might be because my air intake hose is held together with duct tape. I need to get the codes read, and I'm probably going to buy the CAI.

My car is never going to look great. I've got dents in every single body panel. Nothing major, but its dinged up all over. I'm mainly looking to keep it running smoothly for another 15-20,000 miles.

CAI.

My car is never going to look great. I've got dents in every single body panel. Nothing major, but its dinged up all over. I'm mainly looking to keep it running smoothly for another 15-20,000 miles.[/b]

:p When I got mine this is exactly what I was lookin for! Since purchase, I've (or some one else has graciously helped) added to all the "personalization" on each body panel. Not one has been spared.

Got it with 80k or so miles and now on 115k...

Rebuilt Trans
The one motor mount I could get to
One front axle
Thermostat (thanks Xedo)
One rim and some arm that used to hold the rime inline with the road

There is a long list of things that "need" to be fixed/replaced. Which is why I've dropped by here... Baby steps Bob, baby steps. Squeeze two more years out of it and it'll all be worth it. Then on to the next victim… ahhh I mean _vehicle_.

What's a CAI?

Just broke 204k miles on my 1995 S.

Front axles were replaced right before I bought it (at around 180k miles).

I've replaced a wheel bearing, brakes, vacuum lines, thermostat and a starter.

It's on it's last legs now...stutters on startup due to the amount of oil making it's way into the intake from the supercharger combined with a bad oxygen sensor and a bad coil/plug. The radiator is held together with stop leak. The sunroof is broken (bracket snapped in half), a third of the clearcoat has peeled off, and it needs new tires. The starter gear doesn't always slide forward and engage, so trying to start often leads to a loud whining sound. The transmission was even dropping out of overdrive on the highway when cold until I dropped some Seafoam into it.

Despite all the issues I've had it's treated me pretty well. Despite losing nearly all of my coolant driving to a friend's wedding (failed thermostat led to boiling coolant and a ruptured heater line) I still managed to make it the 15 miles (in 100 degree weather!) to the next town by coasting in neutral with the engine off down hills and turning the engine back on to drive up the next. I haven't had to tow it yet, and hasn't left me stranded besides this one incident last summer.

It's nearly time for it to be replaced, but it's served me well.

Model: 97' no sub class, 2.5L (not miller)

Mileage: 155,150

Problems: Bad EGR valve (not fixed yet...$600 for a valve is crazy talk), replaced radiator (OEM one was part plastic, new one is all metal), replaced thermostat, replaced serpentine belts (both). CD LCD display crystal leak (love those programmable buttons). Driver side wiring for turn signal is bad (it's not the bulb or relay). The moon roof leaks. Power steering wheel tilt dead. The cup holder in the middle is broke off from previous owner. I've duct taped over the leather seats where they were previously torn. Heats great but not when in idle. The pinstripe detail is mostly worn off, some cracks in the undercoat if you look close but looks like a black Mercedes/Lexus (from what others told me) from any other point of view. Lunges when it up/down shifts, thinking either spark plugs or dirty transmission pan or transmission overhaul, or coul just be the timing belt. Bought car two years ago for $9,500, value at auction is $1,000. Happy with the impression it makes, just if the mechanical was as good.

Always loved the millenia...found what I thought was a great deal 2 weeks ago, now I am hoping I did not buy a lemon.

2001 supercharged Millenia
100K miles
Black on grey

Problems (already!):
Spits out a lot of black smoke on startup - told it needs an engine rebuild but not sure I trust that this is the problem...anyone know if that is normal? I think it is the supercharger from what I am reading here...I am about to get compression test done to be sure...

Needs wheel bearing, oil cooler leaks, and transmission gasket leak.

Body and interior are in absolutely mint condition...but don't have link to pic...sorry!

Purchased for (all figures CAD): $3500
Cost to rebuild $3500
Wheel bearing, oil cooler, and trans. gasket: 800 all in

ANY advice you guys have, I would really appreciate...thanks so much in advance.

Always loved the millenia...found what I thought was a great deal 2 weeks ago, now I am hoping I did not buy a lemon.

2001 supercharged Millenia
100K miles
Black on grey

Problems (already!):
Spits out a lot of black smoke on startup - told it needs an engine rebuild but not sure I trust that this is the problem...anyone know if that is normal? I think it is the supercharger from what I am reading here...I am about to get compression test done to be sure...

Needs wheel bearing, oil cooler leaks, and transmission gasket leak.

Body and interior are in absolutely mint condition...but don't have link to pic...sorry!

Purchased for (all figures CAD): $3500
Cost to rebuild $3500
Wheel bearing, oil cooler, and trans. gasket: 800 all in

ANY advice you guys have, I would really appreciate...thanks so much in advance.[/b]

Forgot to add in a couple things...
- bought a 92 929 at 270K KMs, took it to 330K KMs, no problem except an EGR code that wouldn't go away even after OEM replacement. Loved that car too, but truck got me in accident and had to let her go... :(

Also...got some 5X2 spoke 17" rims on the Milly. :D

Update: I did this maybe a year ago or maybe not.

2002 Mazda Millenia 2.5L

171,000 miles

No major problems.

Tilt motor is gone

Replaced the timing belt technically twice, because when the timing belt broke the first time it messed up the pulley so I had a mazda OEM belt put on.

Catalytic converter

Recently within the past month, it has went in for a major tune up. Spark plugs and wires, valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, air intake system.

1995 Millenia 2.5L 137,000 miles

Replaced:
Radiator : cracked and spewed everywhere while driving on a highway
valve cover gaskets -replaced due to huge leak
Power steering pump - leaked everywhere
timing belt - dont know if it was actually bad, mechanic replaced it before asking me when he replaced the valve cover gaskets and power steering pump, then added another $360 to my bill. It probably was bad though!
air intake hose - HUGE crack previous owner had taped over

and of course: spark plugs, spark plug wires, pvc valve

Just fixed a vacuum leak (thanks to members on this board!) that was causing car to misfire

I think now my problems are cosmetic - my paint has peeled off in HUGE chunks! It is almost embarrasing to go places. damaged bumper

Previous millenia was a 1998 2.5L 187,000 miles

Replaced:
cracked air intake hose
distributor

sunroofed leaked soaking my floors - sold it

UPDATE

282,649 miles. 1998 Mazda Millenia 2.5L

Replaced:

Tranny at 175K
O2 Sensor
Speed Sensor
Knock Sensor
VIRS2 Solenoid Valve
Intake Boot
Timing Belt Tensioner & Pulley
Both Front Axels
Engine Mounts
Water Pump
Windshield
Catalytic Converter
Both Front Seats (cosmetic reason)
Steering Wheel (cosmetic reason)
(2) Windshield Wiper Pump Motors
Upper Control Arm Links
(5) Timing Belts

Not to mentions tires, batteries, oil changes around every 4K.

A lot of credit goes to MazdOnly in Chamblee, Georgia for doing most of the maintenace and repairs on the car.

The Goal: 300,000 miles (on original engine).

I'm now at 195k km.

Issues so far:
retract mirror (47k km) changed under 3 year factory warranty
Driver seat heating gone out for the third time- fixed two times myself for free
Timing belt with tensioner and pulleys (90 k km, epic fail $2600 dealer maintenance)
Front pads (90k km)
Rear shocks (110k km) KYB GR2
Rear discs (about 130k km I think)
Knock sensor (150k km)
Rear valve cover gasket (150k km, preventive maintenance)
Thermostat (150k km, preventive maintenance)
Battery (9 years 170k km)
Front discs (170k km)
Rust in the rear left wheelarch though I keep up with preventive work :(
Dealt with. Our roads are salted during winter.

Issues waiting to be fixed: retract antenna, front right lateral link, rear left swaybar endlink, swaybar subframe bushes. I've also been having an occasional whirring sound from what I believe is the torque converter. I change the Castrol oil every 15k km and tranny is flushed every 60k km except now I'm 15k km beyond. I've done all the work mentioned myself part from the epic fail maintenance and the two tranny flushes. Oh and the stupid mirror.

All in all not too bad for a ten year old car :)

We have a 2002 (non-S model) that we purchased new in July 2002. The car now has 144,400 miles on it.

So far, it's been pretty good from a reliability standpoint.

Items corrected under warranty:
- Knock sensor
- Gas filler cover (had to be adjusted, greased)
- New batteries, reprogrammed remotes every 2 years. This seems to be an issue with the Milly. My Taurus had the same batteries for 10 years, no problems, no battery replacements.

Items outside of warranty:
- Timing belt, water pump, etc. (Maintenance item)
- Spark plugs (Maint. item)
- One bad plug wire
- Headlight bulb
- 2 batteries were replaced. Seems like 4 years is about average for this vehicle.
- A few other misc. bulbs
- Sqeaking sound in the front right side of the suspension. A lil' white lithium seems to have resolved the issue.
- The tilt wheel mechanism went bonkers on me about a month ago.
- The dreaded P0400 EGR code has plagued my vehicle for some time. I'm now in the process of swapping out some EGR sensors and have pulled the intake manifold to fully clean it out. I've had the throttle body off twice and cleaned the "snake eyes", but that didn't clear the code for me.
- Finally, brake pads. I've replaced them once before and will be doing the work once again in a few weeks.

So far, so good. About my biggest disappointment is the low value of this vehicle. A 2002 Camry with similar miles seems to be fetching about $7,000 - or more. Whereas, I'd be happy to see $4,000 for my 2002 Millenia. At this point, my only intention is to keep the maintenance items up to date on the car. Fortunately, I can do 90% of the work myself and save on the labor.

501 - 520 of 563 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.