Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What up fellas!? gals??

I am planning on getting some tint placed on my windows this weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations on time brand/type? I had FormulaOne tint on my last car; and was pleased with with its performance.

However, this time around I want to use a colored metalic style tint. I am in search of a light blue or light green colored tint. I think it will blend nicely with my Platinum Millenia.

So if you know of a brand that meets my criterias, pass the info on to me!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Originally posted by seldomseen@Sep 4 2002, 07:17 PM
What up fellas!? gals??

I am planning on getting some tint placed on my windows this weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations on time brand/type? I had FormulaOne tint on my last car; and was pleased with with its performance.

However, this time around I want to use a colored metalic style tint. I am in search of a light blue or light green colored tint. I think it will blend nicely with my Platinum Millenia.

The metallic stuff chips, and it looks cheap.

Stick with a stock charcoal tint, they last the longest and cops won't give you as hard a time.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I agree. When I first got my Millenia I made the mistake of installing the metallic tint on my car. Didn't like it at all. It's only good during cloudy weather, when it acts like a mirror and reflects images back out. Otherwise on normal days, it doesn't provide much privacy or tinting.

In the end I got tired of it and had it ripped out and installed a charcoal color. So if you're looking for more privacy, just stick with the charcoal/black tint film.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The metallic stuff chips, and it looks cheap.

Stick with a stock charcoal tint, they last the longest and cops won't give you as hard a time.

The previous window tint I was using never "chipped" even though it was metallic based. I think you guys are referring to the mirror tint which, I know can "chip" over time. The FormulaOne tint, isn't the cheap mirror tint, you can buy at TrakAuto or Pep Boys.

I am searching for a tint of the same quality(FormulaOne); I just want it to be a different shade this time around i.e light blue or light green.

Last edited by Shayaan at Sep 5 2002, 11:51 AM

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I don't know if Metallic gives a similar effect to Mirror tint... but I know w/ mirror tint what some people do is put regular charcoal tint behind it (like 35%) this increases it's effectiveness, privacy, and makes it more reflective (supposedly) This is realllllllllllly illegal though. But it would take a smart cop to realize that you had 2 layers of tint on your car (I think) :)

·
Registered
903 Posts
The tint I 'personally' used on my milly was called matico tint. I put on the tint at 35%, and I think it really looks styley. Matico tint is the only tint that actually bakes metal flakes with the tint to give it a reflective quality, but definantly not that of the mirror tint. The tint looks 'similar' to the tint on the lex suv's, but not quite as mirror. This is my first car with tint so I am no means an expert, but check it out....it comes in about 5 different %'s.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check it out if you get the chance http://www.formulaone.com/ as stated in my previous posts. The above link will tell you all about the tint I used on my last car. I personally think, that mirror tint looks gaudy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i think mirror tint is nasty as hell, cops mess with you more because of it.. i'd say just get reg 20% tints.. looks a hell of a lot nicer :shifty:

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have never actually seen the results of spray on tint. Cars like MB's tint is more sofisticated than spray on tint. I'd just stick to the standard film tint.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Question: if the high rear taillight is covered with tint, will it pass inspection? And will cops pull me over? I definitely rather have the whole rear window covered with tint. It'll look cheesy if it can't be covered and have to cut around the high brake light. Massachusetts have tough laws, but I'm not sure about this one. Elmer? Anyone know the answer? :huh:

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by MilleniaFalcon@Sep 20 2002, 12:46 AM
Question: if the high rear taillight is covered with tint, will it pass inspection? And will cops pull me over? I definitely rather have the whole rear window covered with tint. It'll look cheesy if it can't be covered and have to cut around the high brake light. Massachusetts have tough laws, but I'm not sure about this one. Elmer? Anyone know the answer? :huh:
It all really depends on how anal a particular cop and emmissions/safety inspector is. Here in VA, the 3rd brake light can not be covered with tint. But I have friends and have seen cars with tint covering it-and they never had any problems with either of the above entities.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Originally posted by seldomseen@Sep 4 2002, 09:17 PM
What up fellas!? gals??

Hey Im a tint Installer for five years. One of the best films out now is LLumar film. It comes with a standard lifetime warranty. It also has a nationwide warranty. I personally recommend the mirror tint. I have it on my millenia. The mirror tint gives you a better heat rejection, and keeps your car cooler. It's a metallized film, and it does not chippp. They come in two shades and the lighter 35% is legal in most states except NJ. The mirror film looks best on silver and white cars. The only problem with the mirror is you get no privacy at night. The charcoal tint gives you good privacy at night, but doesn't block out as much heat as mirrored. They are both good films and all LLumar brands comes with life time warranty..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts