Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the Hanabi HID 6000k lights in my 99 millenia and i seem to blind everyone on the road. they are soo bright its like daylight at night. i have people high beam me...pull over if there in front of me...even people waving me down. i love it!! i think everyone should have them. i can get them for a great price if you guys can get a group deal. if not email me and i can give you a price

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
You might make sure they're aimed correctly, so that you're not actually blinding anyone. ^_^

Other than that, cool! I love HID lights... :blink: :)

Duncan :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
B) got some, then sold them

·
Registered
349 Posts
what are the HID lights, just the red and clear? thats nota good thing if you are blinding other drivers on the road~ ! lol

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
HID = High Intensity Discharge. These lights are also known as "xenon" or "xenon-arc" lights, for reasons explained below.

The way these lights work is basically the same as in a neon or halogen light bulb - an electrical current is "fired" through an inert gas, which excites the gas molecules and makes them glow.

The main difference is in the gases used. Neon is fairly stable and isn't easily excited, so it glows softly. Xenon is less stable and more excitable, so it glows brighter. Halogen is somewhere in the middle.

However, xenon gas takes more of a spark for it to glow, so a substantial transformer (a "spark-increaser", if you will) is required to make HID lights work. The cost of this transformer, as well as the tough job of creating xenon gas and getting it into those tiny little light bulbs, is what makes the technology so expensive.

That ends class for today. Any questions? ^_^

Duncan :D - your humble servant

·
Registered
74 Posts
Originally posted by Pearl99Mazda@Oct 17 2002, 04:04 PM
I put the Hanabi HID 6000k  lights in my 99 millenia and i seem to blind everyone on the road. they are soo bright its like daylight at night. i have people high beam me...pull over if there in front of me...even people waving me down. i love it!! i think everyone should have them. i can get them for a great price if you guys can get a group deal. if not email me and i can give you a price

[email protected]
Heres an article you might be interested regarding your HIDs. It explains why they are not such a good thing and why you are blinding people. http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/info/bulbs/HI...HID/conversion/

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by Pearl99Mazda@Oct 17 2002, 05:04 PM
I put the Hanabi HID 6000k lights in my 99 millenia and i seem to blind everyone on the road. they are soo bright its like daylight at night. i have people high beam me...pull over if there in front of me...even people waving me down. i love it!! i think everyone should have them. i can get them for a great price if you guys can get a group deal. if not email me and i can give you a price

[email protected]
Kewl!

I have been using the same HID bulbs now for more than three years. I am using the original Ballast too!

I definatley got my ROI

- Regards,

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by SpeedsNstyle@Jan 5 2003, 06:49 PM
:rofl:
speedsnstyle! (w00t) (w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I didn't remember that post being there....... :unsure:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Originally posted by Duncan@Oct 20 2002, 11:47 PM
However, xenon gas takes more of a spark for it to glow, so a substantial transformer (a "spark-increaser", if you will) is required to make HID lights work. The cost of this transformer, as well as the tough job of creating xenon gas and getting it into those tiny little light bulbs, is what makes the technology so expensive.
just wanted to add a little to that... the transformer isnt really a spark-increaser. its just an AC convertor

the way it works is that you pass an electric current one way and electrons in the gas move to a higher energy level (absorbed the energy but cant relax yet), and then you pass the current the other way and they relax back releasing energy as light + heat

with the regular halogen DC current, ull zap it one way and cant get it back down

1 - 15 of 15 Posts