Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the Summer 2202 edition of Zoom-Zoom magazine from Mazda and it has a special section titled "My Millenia - News & Tips for Mazda Millenia owners". What really caught my eye was an article titled "Behind the Scenes - A Euro-tuned Mazda Millenia? The Concept is becoming a reality". Here's what the article says:

For Jeff Cadavid, the key work is crossover, the artful blending of the best features and facets from two different worlds to create something that's familiar but new, that intrigues and inspires.

Currently, Cadavid and his team at CEC Wheels, the exclusive factory representative for 10 European luxury car manufactures, have one particular crossover project in mind: customizing the Mazda Millenia S with a variety of elegant, mostly European enhancements. The goal is to complete the customization in time for what Cadavid calls the "grand ball" of his industry, the Special Equipment Market Association, or SEMA, show at the Las Vegas Convention Center this November 5-8. For information on attending the show, call (702) 450-7662, ext. 109; or send an e-mail to [email protected].

While enhancements range from sportier body lines to European leather and suede interiors and a more powerful Miller Cycle engine, Cadavid is also quick to point out that CEC's changes are more evolutionary than revolutionary. "The Mazda Millenia is already an extremely capable, desirable vehicle," he says. "We only want to accentuate its strengths and show people the kinds of creative things that can be done with it."

The project is an unusual one for CEC, which normally focuses on Mercedes, BMW's, Porsches, Audis, and other top-tier European luxury vehicles. But it's something Cadavid clearly wanted to pursue. "The reason I became excited about this project is because the Mazda Millenia is a superior product," he says. "I'm very impressed by what it delivers in terms of driving feel, acceleration, and comfort. In fact, I think it provides the perfect platform for us to show the owners of Japanese vehicles how well the European and Japanese luxury car styles blend."

A Euro-tuned Mazda Millenia-maybe it is an idea whose time has come.

·
Registered
22 Posts
well that's great...too bad the millenia just like its predecessor the 929 will be going into hibernation for an indefinite amount of time

·
Registered
59 Posts
If they start making some more aftermarket $h!t for the Millenia, maybe I won't trade my Mil in for the Audi A4. Maybe this project car will make companies realize that the Millenia needs some attention!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
If they start making some more aftermarket $h!t for the Millenia, maybe I won't trade my Mil in for the Audi A4. Maybe this project car will make companies realize that the Millenia needs some attention!
My friend has a 3.0 A4.. It's really nice inside, but for about the same money he could have gotten a faster, better handling, and in my opinion better looking car.. the BMW 330 :D

That car rules... it's my next car also.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm gonna get a '99 or '00 1.8Turbo and put a body kit on it, lower it, upgrade the turbos, and put in a chip. There is a lot of stuff you can do to it. There is a supercharger for the V6 that makes 295 HP.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'm gonna get a '99 or '00 1.8Turbo and put a body kit on it, lower it, upgrade the turbos, and put in a chip.  There is a lot of stuff you can do to it.  There is a supercharger for the V6 that makes 295 HP.
AWD is no fun :(

Not for me, anyway... understeer.... kills me!

Last edited by Shayaan at Sep 11 2002, 10:25 PM

·
Registered
77 Posts
so for the mean time what can do?? what type of accessories will they have available for Millenia owners out there..i've had my milly for almost 2months now...and i'm sick and tires of being ignored by aftermarket part manufacturers..it's about time they realized what a diamond in the rough this car really is..please keep me and all of us posted...also if there is a link to the zoom zoom Millenia article..could someone please post it..

thanks
Elmer

·
Registered
40 Posts
Originally posted by Shayaan@Aug 5 2002, 09:02 PM
I'm gonna get a '99 or '00 1.8Turbo and put a body kit on it, lower it, upgrade the turbos, and put in a chip.  There is a lot of stuff you can do to it.  There is a supercharger for the V6 that makes 295 HP.

Understeer in AWD??? Somethings not right here....with AWD you need to initiate a 4 wheel drift. THEN you see some excitement.

(I used to drive an AWD Talon TSi...with a few mods)

Last edited by Shayaan at Sep 11 2002, 10:25 PM

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Originally posted by Miller Cycle+Sep 11 2002, 09:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Miller Cycle @ Sep 11 2002, 09:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Shayaan@Aug 5 2002, 09:02 PM

Understeer in AWD??? Somethings not right here....with AWD you need to initiate a 4 wheel drift. THEN you see some excitement.

(I used to drive an AWD Talon TSi...with a few mods)[/b][/quote]
Yes.... AWD cars have a tendency to understeer more than other cars (only FWD understeers more). It's generally a safety issue, because the AWD system doesn't allow for proper driver feedback (the computer controls the rear end, not the driver entirely) and thus AWD cars are more hesitant to 'bite' when you give that wheel a nice lil jerk :p

That's why I love RWD over AWD.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Yes.... AWD cars have a tendency to understeer more than other cars (only FWD understeers more). It's generally a safety issue, because the AWD system doesn't allow for proper driver feedback (the computer controls the rear end, not the driver entirely) and thus AWD cars are more hesitant to 'bite' when you give that wheel a nice lil jerk :p

That's why I love RWD over AWD.
I was not trying to say that you can't understeer in an AWD. I was just trying to say that a 4-wheel drift is usually the way to enter the same turn in which understeer is a possibility.

So whether or not you understeer an AWD car depends on how you drive it. Also....not all rear diffs for AWD cars are computer controlled. Most Subarus (new WRX, old 2.5 RS) and Eclipses use a VCU or viscus coupling unit. It is just a set of clutches that act on a strictly mechanical basis. This means that you cannot have power (or more than 5%) powering the back unless you have slip in the front. This causes massive understeer unless you compensate by doing a quick whip to the outside - then to the inside which will break out the back end.

However on all Audi's with the Quattro system, VW's with the 4motion, and the upcoming Lancer Evo VII (or VIII whichever one makes it over next spring) have what is known as an Active center diff. This is computer controlled and moves the power at the beginning of a hard turn. This means that no slip is needed to move the power. This system does not understeer hardly at all. It is also easier to initiate a 4 wheel drift with this system.

And as to a RWD car and oversteer. This is more of a power-oversteer. So if you were to enter the turn without your foot on the throttle, you have the potential of understeering just as much as a FWD or an AWD car. The benifit is that you can use the throttle to correct this.

In an AWD car you can also use the throttle to correct. Especially since not all AWD cars are 50-50 power distribution. Some cars even have a way to adjust the percentage of power distribution. The Skylines are about 30-60, so about 30% is in the front and 60% in the rear. This allows the skyline to act more like a RWD with the benifits of AWD.

Last edited by Miller Cycle at Sep 16 2002, 11:41 AM

·
Registered
40 Posts
They are still only talking about a VCU. I am not arguing which is more fun. I am just arguing the benifits of handling of an AWD system.

They guy even states that he was thinking of a Subaru. Which is still a VCU. Basically you HAVE to understeer to get power to the back.

If you want to argue performance, then think back to when Audi had AWD in the Les Mans circuits. Now they hare banned from having it because their margin of winning was too high.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
It appears as though CEC Wheels canned the idea of building a Euro Tuned Millenia S. The concept was sweet though! If I can remember correctly thier explanation for canning the idea was, they had to many other projects ahead of it. What a damn shame! They should've learned how to prioritize their time for effectively! *lol*

·
Registered
14,705 Posts
why doesnt anyone like the poor eunie

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
Originally posted by excluesiveonez@Oct 15 2004, 11:41 PM
nah we already knew the answer hes just a post whore
[snapback]205248[/snapback]​
lol

·