Mazda World Forum banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello and regards from Macedonia ! J have two IHI superchargers from Mazda Millenia and J promise to all of you to take the mystery of from this problem.Tomorrow J will reassembled one of them and no more secret! J assume that this mechanical seal is simple a seal like this in water pump.Of course J will take a picture of every step.And J will not disappears ;)

By the way,there will go this two supercharger . . . .. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK , so far I've managed to dismantle the front part of the charger.To pull out rear part J must make some kind of extractor-puller from thick plate of about 8-10 mm.Not hammer .no way, J guess that this mechanical seal is ceramic or graphite and hammer can destroyer it.But that tomorrow.

Plate must be drilled in that way , the holes ( green on picture) must be the same as on charger.bolt of charger must pass .Only two of them ( red arrow) is smaller where will must be made M8 thread for bolt .before we put that puller plate we must take of this part ( J don't know the name of that,where is number 1 and red arrow) and after that we set the plate.screw the regular bolt from charger (green holes on picture) ,put two M8 on plate where we make a thread M8 and slowly screw that two bolt.And rear part must go out . . .

large circle, the outside cirkle is thick plate . . . . .

behind this part ( red arow and number one ) is hole where we screw the M8 bolt(puller bolt ) on plate

sorry for my bad English

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vladimir, did you get anywhere with this? Also could you supply basic measurements for the chargers? I've got a project I am thinking of using one of these chargers on but no one seems to post the length (case only and w/drive snout), width, height, etc... Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
so mine is making a clunking noise like the rotors or slapping or a bearing in there is bad but i get no smoke....do i have to rebuild my s/c, if so what all do i need and where can i buy it? any help is much appreciated :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mabe a bit of topic but still relevant. On another forum Millenia supercharger quick fix this guy used greace instead of oil. Clamed it was running fine for 2000k but there has been no responce since.
Any one got any thoughts on this.

I hope I didn't piss anyone of for putting in the link

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
good find zydawn. most cars use sealed chargers with internal oil reservoir so they can use a dedicated gear oil. using 10w30 in there is a compromise as I'm sure our chargers would be MUCH more happy with a nice 20w50 synthetic gear oil. our engines however would not like that so much ;)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I've see that thread before, and was also hoping for some kind of long-term update on how it went myself.

I guess you have nothing to loose. Worst case, it doesn't work, and you fry your supercharger. But otherwise, it is fried anyway from leaking motor oil. The only thing to think about is now used superchargers in good condition are very common on Ebay, whereas in the past a rebuilt supercharger was very expensive. So you have to weight doing this gear oil modification versus just getting a used working one in good condition.

I was thinking about possibly doing this myself if my supercharger went bad. The only modification I would do above and beyond what the guy did in the thread would be to add a few grease zerk fittings to the few points near where the bearings are. That way you could periodically squirt a few squirts of grease with a grease gun on the bearings. You could add the fittings with a tap-and-die set, and tap a few holes in the supercharger in the right places. They also make self-tapping zerk fittings that you only need to drill a hold in the supercharger, then they self-tap as you screw them in.

I also think the reason the Millenia has a bad reputation about leaking superchargers is because it uses thin motor oil as the lube, and that eventually leaks through the seals. If Mazda would have used the exact same supercharger design, but just used a heavy and thick grease or lube for the supercharger (instead of thin motor oil), we wouldn't have these problems. Because the thick lube wouldn't leak past the seals.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone has had the same problem. I have oil all over the front of the engine. It's not coming from the valve covers, as I sealed them up last year, and they show no signs of leaking. It almost seems that the oil is spinning off the front of the supercharger, but of course I can't see the shaft or bearings in the front without removing the pulley (not a trivial job).

It is not burning oil, and there is barely any oil in the intercoolers. I took the air distributor off the top of the supercharger, and the rotors are dry. The charger does clatter a little bit at startup, but then is quiet. The car has good power.

Is it possible to have an external oil leak without an internal oil leak in the supercharger? If so, can I just replace the front section of the charger with a donor from another car without disturbing those pesky bearings?

Or is my oil leak coming from somewhere else? It really is substantial, as I'm adding a quart every 2-3 weeks.

Thanks,
Keen

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
very simple solution. under the pulley there is an oil seal around the shaft, after a while it wears out similar to a camshaft or crankshaft oil seal.

its about $2 to replace and not too hard to get to it. remove the mount for more clearance, make sure you have the proper wrench to hold the pulley and then remove the single bolt. seal is changed like any oil seal.

DO NOT use an impact to remove the bolt or it will damage the gears in the supercharger.

good luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
Spot on, bigb

Hey man, thanks! I just pulled the pulley and the inside is full of oil. I'm hopeful that this is the cause of the entire front of the engine being full of oil too. I did the cam seals last year when I did the valve cover gaskets, so I'm hoping there aren't other leaks somewhere. There's so much oil everywhere that it's hard to tell. :D

Regards,
Keen

very simple solution. under the pulley there is an oil seal around the shaft, after a while it wears out similar to a camshaft or crankshaft oil seal.

its about $2 to replace and not too hard to get to it. remove the mount for more clearance, make sure you have the proper wrench to hold the pulley and then remove the single bolt. seal is changed like any oil seal.

DO NOT use an impact to remove the bolt or it will damage the gears in the supercharger.

good luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey bigb, would you know where I can find that supercharger front shaft seal or a part number? I'm having some trouble tracking it down online, and my local Mazda dealer is closed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everybody. In the spirit Of full disclosure, I am not a Mazda owner. I am another 944 owner harvesting the discarded corpses of millennia. In an orgy of fiscal irresponsibility, I grabbed three millennia superchargers at the pick n pull.
Based in the discussion in this threat, it looks like sealing the supercharger off from engine oil and giving it it's own bath of s/c oil might be the way to go. Has anyone tried this? I saw the post on the other forum about grease, but it's not clear to me if he kept it connected or not. I'm just wondering how one might close up the oil passages. Thanks! [/resurrect]

·
Registered
72 Posts
I found some great pictures of the actual mechanical "Seals" inside of the Mazda Millenia S 2.3 Engine's IHI "Supercharger" that leaks oil and causes lots of white and blue smoke from the exhaust. This is for the forum! 😊 Enjoy

Attachments

121 - 137 of 137 Posts